Monday, September 08, 2008

apologies to Mr. Bell, but it's all in the timing.

I was in NYC again very briefly this past weekend and I was strangely not compelled to race to Mr. Foe (otherwise known as Hallam Foe) despite the presence of the ever welcome Mr. Bell (otherwise known as Jamie). He was even so kind as to wear eyeliner to entice me.


He's not very good at applying it, though. That's a far cry from the heyday of Ewan McGregor who was even ballsy enough to wear it to awards shows. Anywayyyy...

Here is something I don't like about myself: I sometimes lose all interest in a movie if I have to wait too long for it to arrive. I don't take great pride in this impatience since a movie is theoretically the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. But it's like movies are my food and therefore I need to consume them whilst fresh. Perhaps I fear stale flavorless celluloid or even movie poisoning should it have been stored improperly...especially if the Weinstein's ever touched it. Strangely this fickle fancy does not apply to old movies, just new ones that aren't delivered quickly. Once a movie has a decade's worth of dust on it, I am totally interested in seeing it again or for the first time.
*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... Hallam Foe (sorry, I refuse to retitle it) and Mamma Mia? Two EASY decisions, two perfectly terrific (if wildly different) movies...

What's going on with you?!

Rob

NATHANIEL R said...

whats going on with me is my life belongs to corporate america for one more week. than i return to my reguarly scheduled incredibly nervewracking but far more enjoyable freelance life as a movie fanatic.

more later.

Janice said...

Maybe he's going for a "Walk Like an Egyptian" sort of thing? Or a Yul Brenner in the Ten Commandments sort of thing?

Anyway, it's Jame frickin' Bell for gosh sakes Nathaniel. Naked (at least from the waist up. Hey, I'm a lesbian and even I can get excited about that.) And probably brilliant as usual. (When is he not?) Ever see him in "Nicholas Nickleby? He mops the floor with the actor who plays the titular hero, I mean it's no contest whatsoever.

Corporate America is no good for you at all. Good for the bank account maybe, but no good for the brain at all.

Anonymous said...

Interesting analogy there. I like it.

John T said...

Does this mean you've lost interest in Flora Plum? :)

Glenn said...

Hallam Foe went direct-to-DVD here. You should check it out once it goes to DVD because it's actually quite good and Bell is easily the best thing about it. I actually appreciated the way it was filmed. It looks gorgeous when it easily could've been all "gritty" and the like with hand held cameras.

Having said that, I agree with you on the waiting-too-long thing. I refused to see movies like Half Nelson, Persepolis, The Savages and The Painted Veil when they arrived here because it took so bloody long. There's no need to wait 17 months for The Painted Veil. I'll probably catch them on DVD, but it's like "why should I be paying $14 to see a movie that others have access to on DVD already".