Thursday, September 11, 2008

Coming October 6th: Cabin in the Sky (1943)

Your votes decided it. October 6th's "Musical of the Month" Event will focus on the groundbreaking Cabin in the Sky (1943) so put it on your rental queue, post haste --you know how time flies.

Here, I'll help you: Netflix and Blockbuster (strangely GreenCine doesn't have)

This famous production, which dared to use an all African American cast back in 1943 when many theaters refused to play such films (my how far we've come), has only been available on DVD for a couple of years now. I'm sure many of you, like me, haven't seen it.

Cabin comes from a legendary director of the musicals (this was Vincent Minnelli's first gig as lead director) and features genuine musical superstars (Lena Horne, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong!) as well as Ethel Waters and Butterfly McQueen... so give it a try. I'm hoping that the more adventurous blogs out there will join in on this one.



6 comments:

Fox said...

Yummy! This movie is a treat, and this makes me wanna revisit it now.

After my wedding, we had a dance party in a movie theater, and I took some clips from this movie and projected them on the screen. It was an awesome time.

NATHANIEL R said...

Wait... a dance party in a movie theater following a wedding. CAN I MARRY YOU?

(not that i'm getting married but combining it with movie theaters...)

Fox said...

It was awesome. Since I'm already locked-down and you say you're not getting getting married, maybe we can have a faux-wedding just to relive the experience.

But yeah. I won't bog down your blog with details, but we had clips in our vows, and then clips at the reception, and clips during the dancing. It was pretty much, all-around the best day of my life. No, it definitely was.

underdog said...

Hey Nathaniel, frankly I have no idea why we (GreenCine) didn't have Cabin in the Sky either but it's on order and GC members can request it for now.
http://www.greencine.com/webCatalog?id=166612

Thanks!
Fascinating - and fun - musical.
Craig

Chris Na Taraja said...

Can't wait to see it

Criticlasm said...

I am so excited about this. Now the 6th of the month suddenly reminds me that I need to screen a musical! I actually bought CITS on DVD about a year and half ago and haven't watched it--this is the perfect opportunity.