Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rachel Getting Married (First Impression)

I still need to collect my thoughts on Rachel Getting Married but I will say this for now: beautiful.

Nathaniel Getting Hugged... that's how I felt. No, not in the sappy cheap way of many tearjerkers. The movie isn't interested in tidy endings or easy to swallow Life Lessons Learned™. It's willing to throw painful truth around. Kim (Anne Hathaway stepping it up in a big way) is often a complete nightmare... and not always in the loveable rogue way that the movies are so fond of. Sometimes you just want to slap her ... or at least gag her. The film has genuine heart, musical soul and a welcome spontaneity in its filmmaking (it's rare when a handheld camera actually feels organic rather than distracting).

Sadly, my Oscar hopes for it have dimmed a bit since seeing it. It's a modest gem and a true ensemble (it's easy to see supporting campaigns being hard to mount). But Oscar Schmoscar. It was yummy -- easy top ten material.

13 comments:

Hayden said...

Okay, so I'm waiting for your full review, but what did you think of Winger's lauded breakdown scene?

You say it's not as strong a contender as predicted, but do you still think Annie's a strong contender?

NATHANIEL R said...

let me amend. In a just world it would be a contender I just worry about the Oscar need for BIG. I mean it's not going to be a mega hit like Juno.

and also the filmmaking vibe is so casual rather than "look at me"...

i don't know...just didn't seem Oscary.

I'd say Anne is in contention for a nomination yes. But, like anyone else, the campaign and the luck will have to be there.

Anonymous said...

So, an original screenplay nod is likely, but everything else will be hard fought? Cool. I'm seeing it next week.

I'm more curious about Hunger, though.

adam k. said...

My prediction for Nathaniel's grade:

a high B+

Rob said...

Gah, I didn't want to know Winger had a breakdown scene!

Did you see it yet, Hayden, or have you just been spoiled by reading too many spoilery/descriptive early reviews?

NATHANIEL R said...

rob - don't worry. nothing's really spoiled for you. people may or may not have breakdowns and the degrees by which they have them are interpretable ;)

Anonymous said...

So keep Anne Hathaway and Debra Winger in my predictions or not?

Hayden said...

I would kill to see Anne win a Golden Globe for her work. Do you think it'll be pushed comedy?

Michael B. said...

So basicially I saw this movie as well a few weeks ago and I truly believe that Actress, Supporting Actress (Rosemarie DeWitt, who is almost as good as Hathaway) and Original Screenplays are good bets. I don't mean locks but I'm saying they are worthy contenders. I loved the movie and the Q & A Panel with Hathaway, DeWitt, Lumet and the producers Neda something was very well done. It seems that this was very fun and easy to make.

Oh and I honestly don't see Winger getting a nomination over DeWitt. Winger was good but if she did get nominated it would be just because she is Debra Winger. Oh and the nomination I wish could and should happen is for Bill Irwin who plays the father. What a strong character actor. He steals scenes and was just fantastic. My hope is that the movie gets Actress, Sup. Actor (Irwin), Sup. Actress (DeWitt) and Original Screenplay.

Michael B. said...

Hayden-
Though the questions wasn't asked to me, I could easily see this being pushed to Comedy at the GG. And if it is, Hathaway should take it home.

Anonymous said...

Contrary of what many you believe, i was not impressed by anything in this movie. I found it irritating and too indulgent. But whatever you may believe.

ohnochriso said...

I thought this was a pretty fantastic movie. The families got a little precious in their uber multi-cultural-ness but overall I found it to be strongly written and superbly acted.

Anonymous said...

i really agree with 17 Year Old Blogger...