Monday, September 08, 2008

MotM Episodes 3 & 4

Hope you enjoyed those Musical of the Month Little Shop of Horrors memories from myself, Seeing I, Hayden, Jose, Brad and Stinky over the weekend. Who's next ...don't you want to join the kick line? And what's next?


On October 6th...
We'll be knee deep in new 2008 Oscar hopefuls so let's have a tuneful one day diversion back to the 1940s. I want to see something I've never seen so we're choosing between the following: Ethel Waters and Lena Horne in Vincent Minnelli's Cabin in the Sky (1943), Lucille Ball, Red Skelton and Gene Kelly in DuBarry Was a Lady (1943), Fred & Ginger in The Barkleys of Broadway (1949) or Judy Garland In the Good Old Summertime (1949). I hope you'll be adventurous and enjoy the classic rhythms.




On November 6th 11th
We're revisiting Todd Haynes's Velvet Goldmine (1998) on the 10th anniversary of its theatrical release. As kaleidoscope musical bios go, it served as warm up to I'm Not There only it's, you know, better: Jonathan Rhys Meyers at his prettiest, Christian Bale at his gayest, Toni Collette at her most theatrical and Ewan McGregor in the altogether ...all of them sweating glitter. As they should be. It's a smorgasbord of cinematic delights and it'll be a huge glam rock blog ball ...provided you dress appropriately. You've got two months to work on your ensemble.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you think of Annie get your Gun? Adam H. from UK

Janice said...

Well, as we just had "Calamity Jane" I'd prefer something "completely different". (OK that's probably not fair, as I've never seen Annie, but another gunslinging female, so soon? Let's save that one for later.)

Anonymous said...

No way is Velvet Goldmine better than I'm Not There. I propose a duel to settle our differences. I actually think VG is Haynes' least film, by far.

NATHANIEL R said...

duel away on NOVEMBER 6th ;)