Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Link After Reading

Cinema Styles has a good piece on the seemingly unstoppable expansion of running times
Y Kant Goran Rite on Superman (1978). Succint and well put, sir.
Ephemerist on Christina Hendrick's decolletage @ the EMMYs
<-- The New Republic "Gratuitous Argument Starter" ranking the work of the Coen Bros. My ranking (subject to change) is to the left
Victim of the Time Goes back in time
Bauer-Griffin Mark Ruffalo shouts out to Obama
Webster's Is My Bitch "catfight" (noun) starring Drew & Kiki

Just Jared Robert Pattinson in Interview. (Will there by more hysteria or less once this Twilight thingy opens?)
He Shot Cyrus has a low maintenance blog-a-thon coming up: "My Best Post" -- you've already written it, see?
Mo Rocca fun piece on Dolly Parton's career and Broadway bound 9 to 5
Gelf Magazine looks at the world of blurb distortion in movie marketing
I Watch Stuff Anna Faris stunting her own career. Challenging yourself is hard, yo.

Drawn! rounds up a couple of pieces on the still-in-progress animated feature Coraline (2009)


I really enjoyed the short Neil Gaiman book its based on and, though I mourn the now long shelved idea (Gaiman approved) of Michelle Pfeiffer as Mother/Other Mother in a live action version, I'm hoping this stop motion film honors the modestly scaled, inventively creepy magic tale. Cross your fingers.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Persuant to long films, Marc Forster has just announced that Quantum of Solace will be the shortest Bond film ever. I think that's potentially awesome.

Anonymous said...

Coen movies:
1. The Big Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. O Brother/Raising Arizona
5. No Country for Old Men

elgringo said...

Thanks for linking to the "My Best Post" blog-a-thon! Everyone's free to participate, in fact, it's encouraged. So start sifting through your archives and narrow it down to your best post!

NATHANIEL R said...

My archive is huge. It swings down to my ankles. no way I can choose just one microscopic piece of it ;)

but i do think it's a good idea for a blog-a-thon.

Anonymous said...

Barton Fink continues to be the most underrated film of all time. The Coen brothers' true masterpiece, the experience of an artist has never been more brilliantly captured and I'm not sure it ever will. It's also their best screenplay and John Goodman gives quite literally the best supporting performance of the last 50 years.

1. Barton Fink
2. No Country For Old Men
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Raising Arizona
5. ... (where it gets cramped, the next 5 are all great and any one of them could be here on a different day) The Man Who Wasn't There
6. Fargo
7. Blood Simple
8. Miller's Crossing
9. O Brother Where Art Thou
10. The Hudsucker Proxy
11. Intolerable Cruelty (generic solid Hollywood picture, but its the smartest such film I've seen in a long time, not very Coen-ish, but does what it does well
12. Burn After Reading (good, fun, but fades incredibly quickly, loved initially, the more I think about it the less I like it and frankly, there's nothing particularly memorable about it)
13. The Ladykillers (the only one of these I rate below a 7, which is good on my scale, so ya, they've made one movie I didn't at least really like, not bad, this is terrible though)