Tuesday, September 02, 2008

"You're Always Welcome at My House"

Nathaniel here. Does anyone else remember that Marisa Berenson episode of The Muppet Show (no, you're too young!) wherein she abuses her visitors and guests. So wrong. But so cute!



I loved The Muppet Show as a kid. I was insane for it basically. Cuckoo for felt monsters and musical numbers. It's sad that today's kids don't get any good variety shows. ANYWAYS... I was thinking about this skit today because I've been such a greedy host. My guests keep looking nervously at the door. Their darting eyes and beads of sweat seem to whisper "Will he ever let us leave? The other guests were never expected to stay this long?!"

You can't see me but I'm unlocking the door. I'm also genuflecting to (in no particular order) Adam, Jonathan, Whitney, JA and Robert who I really leaned on heavily this past month. I invited them because I love their blogs, so check those out and/or subscribe. Good times guaranteed.


I missed the movies so badly in August. I see a light at the end of my Off-Cinema tunnel and I'm taking back the reigns. But you'll still be hearing from other voices from time to time. I love group efforts. Living on the net shouldn't be lonely. JA is sticking around for a weekly column to be determined --I can't live/blog? (...same thing) without him and we love movie-obsessing together despite disparate cinematic interests. There's also a special new weekly guest feature coming that I think you'll love... and even if you don't, I will! And my first rule of thumb for providing free entertainment is to entertain myself. Me! Me! Me!

7 comments:

Greg said...

You're a wonderful host and it's a pleasure to help out in any way I can. If my own work life had not begun to consume me this week I would have done a lot more. Thanks.

whitney said...

I love writing posts for Film Experience! Thanks for having us!

Walter L. Hollmann said...

have no worry about today's generation. working at a theatre camp this summer, my best friend and i only showed episodes of The Muppet Show to the pre-care kids. they have become great fans of Miss Piggy and Carol Channing.

Adam said...

I loved erratically writing for Film Experience, and if there's ever another freakish workload you know where to look... Thanks again! Also if at any time you're feeling like you're getting too much exposure and respectability, you're always welcome at my blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that blast from the past! I love that clip, and remember it from my childhood. Here's some more trivia -- that song is written by Shel Silverstein, and appears on one of his adult albums...

Anonymous said...

Nat!!!!....i was just downloading that clip the other day, it is one of my all time favorites. I use to watch the compilation video Rowlf's Rhapsodies ALL the time, every one of the skits is HYSTERICAL.

Janice said...

Thanks so much to all the guest bloggers for keeping things going here!

I LOVED that show as a kid back in the day (and I couldn't understand why several adults I knew loved it as much as I did - until I got older and realized that show, like a Shakespeare play, is playing to all the house and several levels at the same time) but I barely remember this episode or this number. I do remember very clearly being secretly (sorta kinda) in love with Kermit. Which is as close to heterosexuality as I'll probably ever come. (I cried when Henson died, and it still gets to me - such a needless tragedy.)