Monday, September 01, 2008

I've Linked You So Long

In Contention joins in on the Kristin Scott Thomas Oscar buzz (for I've Loved You So Long). Could we really have a French language film in the Best Actress race two years running?
As Little As Possible filing reports from Telluride. Can't wait to see some of these films
Anne Thompson's Telluride Watch, too.
Daily GreenCine collects the rousing response to Slumdog Millionaire, a festival breakout
Just Jared burns up for Charlize Theron at her latest premiere. fwiw, the shoes are beyond fierce.


Drawn! highlight a Gremlins fan film. Ah DIY film culture.
Guardian wonders why "chick flicks" have such a shallow pool of themes
LA Rag Kevin Spacey gets cheeky. Oh, come out already man. It's so tiresome.
Big Screen Little Screen Audrey Tatou as Coco Chanel.

And -- trés awkward segueway --please cheer me up in the comments. This consulting gig I'm doing (no, I don't make a living from writing just yet) is wearing me down. Nathaniel is missing the movies and Manhattan and friends. and especially his cat! I never intended to doom him to depression by naming him after Montgomery Clift ... but the name proved prophetic. He's not exactly a chipper thing. When he's not morose he can be demonic. But now that I've abandoned him for a month, I worry. His brain is so tiny and he doesn't speak English and I'm like the only thing he loves. I feel guilt. GUILT. He's soft and fuzzy and I fear that if I don't return soon he won't need Lacuna Inc to erase his memories of me. Are there any pet owners out there who can relate?

14 comments:

whitney said...

My dog once found her way home from four miles away when my family went away for a vacation. The people that were watching her finally found her crying at our doorstep. I hate leaving pets.

par3182 said...

that's not what i'd call cheering someone up, whitney


i housesit for a friend for six weeks over xmas every year, looking after their cat frenchy. i hardly see him for the rest of the year but every december when i arrive he's always overexcited to see me

cats remember plenty

John T said...

If Kristin Scott Thomas gets another Oscar nod, I will never stop smiling.

adam k. said...

This is somewhat unrelated, but some links in your post led me to In Contention's oscar charts, and I see that Kris Tapley has almost totally abandoned Doubt in his predictions. I actually though perhaps it'd been pushed back, but then I realized he was still predicting Viola Davis (albeit for a 5th slot).

But no Meryl Streep??? And also nothing else, whatever? What happened? Did I miss something? Were there really bad reactions at test screenings? Is it rumored to be a bust? Cause if Doubt is even anywhere near halfway decent, Meryl will be nominated. Seriously.

Have you changed your predictions, too, Nathaniel?

I just feel so out of the loop with all this new talk of Theron and Kristin Scott Thomas and Melissa Leo...

M said...

My golden retriever named Emma (yes, after Emma Thompson) has been in another house ever since me and my family left for holidays like three weeks ago. We meant to move her out of the apartment anyway since it's not very practical having a big dog in such a small apartment. But yeah, I miss her and feel very guilty for abandoning her. *sigh* Now if you excuse I'll go have a Daniel Plainview sort of moment.

Anonymous said...

Stick with it Nat - you know there'll be a light at the end of the tunnel, and you wouldn't have taken the gig if it didn't make sense.

You'll be back soon... but for now take comfort in the fact that you're missed and will be welcomed back!

Rob

Anonymous said...

Spacey could tap some fine Italian ass, not this awfully flat and red one

NATHANIEL R said...

John T --it is a happy thought, yes.

Adam K -- i've heard bad buzz from one source myself. But one source is generally not something that's safe to go on. Maybe there's more sources now ;)

also... the best actress talk. this always happens round about this time of the year when the smaller films start generating talk. at the end of the day Melissa Leo and Charlize Theron and Kristin Scott Thomas are all in small heavy films that won't make any box office waves. that's not a requirement for competition of course but it does put you at a disadvantage when the big films with big stars start arriving.

Rob -- thank you.

Anonymous said...

I like Scott Thomas. Will be interesting to see if she gets nominated. She's given some wonderful performances, most notably to me in GOSFORD PARK and FOUR WEDDINGS & A FUNERAL...oh, and that episode of ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered how closeted gay celebrities manage to have sex so that it doesn't get public. I guess it's impossible in the digital era.

Iggy

Unknown said...

Cats are super intelligent. He'll remember you perfectly! Any time I'm on holidays, I worry that my cats won't come back or won't respond to me, but they always do.

Billy D said...

No love for the bf? Yeah, mine complains that I love the cat more than him too. Little does he know...

Anonymous said...

Blanchett was nominated for a very bad movie. Meryl cannot not get at least nominated!

Jim

NATHANIEL R said...

good point Jim