Friday, October 17, 2008

Brad Pitt is a "Basterd"

Whutaver thet is...


This beauty is the first promotional pic for Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. As a former spelling bee champion, I object. Especially coming from a writer/director as language-loving as Tarantino. But that's neither here nor there today since I have never in my life objected to one Mr. William Bradley Pitt. And you can spell that any way you like.

As per usual, QT is using Bob Richardson as his DP and Sally Menke as editor (double yay!). Costume Designer Anna B Sheppard, a go-to costumer whenever World War II is in sight (The Pianist, Schindler's List, Band of Brothers), is doing the costumes. I'm not even going to hold the fact that she ditched me on an interview a few years back against her --in fact I've completely forgotten that that ever happened! ;) In fact, I'll just forgive everyone involved with this production for everything they've ever done to annoy me previously or in the future since I never in a million years believed that Tarantino would be back behind a camera again this soon. I'm so pleased he's not taking another unecessary 5 year break between movies.

The loud-mouthed auteur has also lined up a diverse, eccentric and bound to be gratifying ensemble of players. The names include German movie stars Diane Kruger, Daniel Brühl and Til Schweiger as well as Michael Fassbender (hot off Hunger), director Eli Roth (Hostel --I suspect Tarantino will have fun offing him in some grotesque way as a barely inside joke), Mike Myers, Cloris Leachman (!?) and Tarantino returning player Julie Dreyfus (she who was horrifically mutilated in Kill Bill. We assume he'll give her both arms back) among several lesser knowns. Watch at least two of these actors deliver their best work ever. That's how QT do.

The suits (Weinstein Co & Universal) are saying this'll be in movie theaters in June 2009. Stop laughing! Okay okay. Watch for a Christmas release in 2009 or even a 2010 run should Tarantino want to fuss about in post.
*

11 comments:

Pivo said...

I'm actually afraid of how complete the movie will be for Cannes'09. Is that embarassing release of 2046 at Cannes'04 still fresh in your minds?

Dame James said...

Cloris Leachman is in this movie?! I can't wait to see what Tarantino does with her in this macho war movie.

Anonymous said...

It seems like a lot of release dates for the supposed Oscar pics for next year are not at the end of the year.

Public Enemies
Julie and Julia
The Lovely Bones
The Soloist

Anonymous said...

I am a huge Tarantino fan. I don't think I've ever anticipated as much as this one. A Tarantino war movie? Can I buy tickets now?

Anonymous said...

Cloris Leachman??? Dancing with the Stars really does revive your career. Who knew Quentin Tarantino watched that show?

Tim said...

Wait - it's really spelled "basterds"? Oh, that's going to make my eyes bleed every time I see the poster.

NATHANIEL R said...

that's how the press release spells it over and over again. in glourious "basterds" at that!

Glendon said...

As long as it isn't split into two parts, I'm happy.

Anonymous said...

From the PR firm that brought you "The Pursuit of Happyness" comes Quentin Tarantino's latest two-part, four-hour epic, "Inglourious Basterds"!!!

Anonymous said...

Is it too early to play "spot the movie references"? I see Mike Myers as "General Ed Fenech," named after 1970s Italo-horror and -sex star Edwige Fenech. Brad Pitt's "Aldo Raine" sounds like Aldo Ray, who played countless military men in his career.

Anonymous said...

come on people, you gotta be kidding me.. like Tarantino would misspell in the title of his own film- the guys a genius!!
When he was asked about the obvious spelling error he said,

"Here's the thing. I'm never going to explain that. You do an artistic flourish like that, and to explain it would just take the piss out of it and invalidate the whole stroke in the first place."