Friday, October 10, 2008

From Zanessa To Phillen: An Oscar Journey

JA from MNPP here, with a slightly (<-- understatement) random admission today. I had a dream last night (no, not that one) in which I was responsible for recasting the High School Musical series with recent Oscar winners now that it's graduating to the big screen. HSM original stars Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens...


... became Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Dame Helen Mirren. Decidedly less appealing to the tweens, sure, but ooh they'd bring the gold the Disney executives of my dream thirsted for.

Anyway, I don't know enough about the High School Musical series to continue any further on my own, so I am asking y'all - whom I'm assuming all have "Zanessa" posters hanging over your beds, natch - to continue. Who else should be in this bold pretend reimagining? And who should direct? I'm thinking Lars Von Trier, personally. And High School Musical as a title just won't work as Serious-minded. We'll need something more uplifting... more adult... more triumph-of-the-human-spirit-ish... The Songs of Our Education? Vocal Lessons? I, Music?

(this post has been brought to you by my addled brain hopped up on so much cold medicine that I can't see straight, much less type coherent thoughts)
.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

melen hirren still looks hotter naked.

Chris Na Taraja said...

You must be delerious if your casting PSH in HSM3. DHM could probably pull it off though.

Feel better.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Not entirely sure it needs re-imagining in this fashion.

However, in all seriousness, couldn't HSM3 strike Oscar gold without the Hoffman to help it on its way? Surely the original songs will be eligible, and I imagine the odd song will be unavoidable enough and sell enough copies to perhaps get a nod. No?

Rob

NATHANIEL R said...

well i'd believe PSH being cast in anything since he's apparently hot enough to get MICHELLE WILLIAMS, CATHERINE KEENER, SAMANTHA MORTON and EMILY WATSON pining for him.

sigh. i don't understand the world. Or Charlie Kauffman's world ;)

and I'm still pretending the HSM phenom doesn't exist.

Jason Adams said...

Man what a weird pointless post this was of me to make. I plead temporary influenza-ish based insanity.

But anonymous #1 makes a fine point.

Anonymous said...

Way to take out all the fun, you guys. Here's my attempt:

Troy Bolton - James Marsden
Gabriella Montez - Rosario Dawson
Sharpay Evans - Amy Adams
Ryan Evans - Neil Patrick Harris
Ms. Darbus - Meryl Streep
Chad Danforth - Mekhi Phifer
Taylor McKensie - Kerry Washington
Kelsi Nielsen - Anne Hathaway

Dame James said...

Shawn, I love all of your suggestions (the NPH casting is especially on the nose) except I would go for Dame Judi Dench as Ms. Darbus and, although, it's kinda against the rules, there's no one I can think of who can play Sharpay like the originator, Ashley Tisdale. She's so utterly perfect that I'm sure that if the Academy didn't have genre biases we would be hearing her name being thrown around for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

Tram said...

sigh. i don't understand the world. Or Charlie Kauffman's world ;)

How was Synecdoche Nathaniel? In Kaufman fashion, I wouldn't mind if you dropped a few stream-of-consciousness thoughts out there! :)

Or are ya still in the "what the
f-ck did I just see" stage?