Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Hump Day Hottie, Lee Pace

Hump Day Hotties 5th season premiere...

I wasn't quite counting down the hours to tonight's premiere of Pushing Daisies (like my buddy JA was) but my DVR was aware and the recording was triple-checked. Okay so I was counting down the hours. It had been a long time between the first and second season. I was nervous.

How kind of them to thank us for that interminable wait by stripping scrumptious Lee Pace down to his skivvies soon after the recap scenes. The only more rewarding way to kick off the premiere might have been a brief musical duet from Kristin Chenowith and Ellen Greene but you can't have everything.


I'd rank this episode somewhere in the middle of the quality range that Pushing Daisies hits. At its best the show's sublime silliness and pinch of bittersweet drama tastes totally gourmet. At its worst, it's still a decent meal but the flavors a touch ripe and the plating way too busy.

My favorite line in the new episode was delivered by "Olive Snook" i.e. Kristin Chenowith, the winner of the 2008 Emmy for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy (Shut Up! this show encourages fantastical thinking. I'm having a pleasant false memory). She has been shipped off to a nunnery (don't ask) by Lily Charles (Swoosie Kurtz), who once stayed there to hide a pregnancy.
You holidayed here 30 years ago and found a baby in the cabbage patch. And by cabbage patch I mean your lady parts.
LOL. So why am I not talking about Lee Pace, the presumed subject of this post? I'm getting there.


In truth, he never has all that much to do in any given episode. In many ways he's the straight man of the show. The supporting cast is the swirling colorful comic relief. Pace is there to provide anchor. He does it beautifully. Pace never flinches from or winks away "Ned"'s sweetness, softness or soulful sincerity which would be temptations for some lead actors... especially within a show so possibly indulgent of winking.

Since this is a film blog, I must say that I hope he gets big movie roles on every Daisies hiatus. It'd be a shame if he was never challenged with a Soldier's Girl level role again. He was so convincing as the transgendered "Calpernia" in that Showtime film. Directors ought to be asking him to stretch again... when he's not making pies. And while we're talking movies, I really must rent The Fall. I'll leave you with this beauty of a number from the spring period comedy Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (spoilers -- it's late in the film). Kristin Chenowith isn't the only woman who bursts into song when she's thinking about Lee Pace. He has that affect on Amy Adams, too.



previous seasons of Hump Day Hotties
... if you're feeling chilly.

20 comments:

Fox said...

He's got Colin Farrell brows!

Agustin said...

why no current crushes??

James Hansen said...

Did you see "The Fall"? He was the lead in that. It got some crazy mixed reactions (I didn't like it much) but seems to have some sort of a following. Here's hoping he gets better scripts though...eek!

Anonymous said...

"In many ways he's the straight man of the show."

Whereas, in real life, . . .

Carl Joseph Papa said...

i loved "the fall"

Robert said...

Roger Ebert was exactly right on The Fall. It's got problems but should be seen because no other movie like it will probably ever be made.

And the best line was deliviered by Olive Snook but it was "I'm not pregnant. Unless it's immaculate conception or I put on a strange man's underpants"

Anonymous said...

Why hasn't anyone seen the Fall? Why do people think it's tedious? I don't understand!

Anonymous said...

I was dazzled by The Fall. But then, I loved The Fountain too.

Anonymous said...

He's pretty cute x)
but he's not so hot that I freak out when he has his shirt off *sorry* lol

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, "The Fall!" I saw it by chance, and in all seriousness, it was everything I've ever wanted in a movie.

Adam said...

I thought 'The Fall' was a mess, but a beautiful and inspired mess.

Anonymous said...

I like Lee Pace's character in "Pushing Daisies" but I've never cared much about him until my friends told me last week that he looks like me (what a compliment!... don't you think?).

Well, sincerely I don't think they are totally right but maybe there's a physical resemblance in the eyebrows, the cheekbones and the quiet attitude.

J.D. said...

If The Fall is a mess, it's most stunning mess I've ever seen.

And Lee... *sigh*

Anonymous said...

This is where advertising ruins the product. I keep seeing big, obnoxious posters for Pushing Daisies all over the train on the way to work. Now I officially hate the show (which I'd never even heard of besides the posters). Fuck advertising.

Neel Mehta said...

Does anyone else think he's channeling Clive Owen in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day? Something about his line delivery. (That's not a complaint at all; I find it amusing.)

Anonymous said...

Ah Lee Pace. Discovered him in the sadly cancelled "Wonderfalls" and fell in love.

Then "Pushing Daisies" comes out last year and I fell in love all over again. And this year not only did I see "Soldier's Girl" but also "The Fall" and "Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day" which you talked about in your entry. LOVED all of them.

Sigh. Great Hump Day Hottie pick Nathaniel.

Anonymous said...

I almost faint when I saw the beginning of that episode!!!!
He's not buffed or anything, but who cares?? I have so many nasty thoughts when I saw just his underwear. All of them involved pulling them down:)

NATHANIEL R said...

!!!

I don't care about buff. Unless we're talking Hugh Jackman. I'm a face man for men and women.

it's all about the face. and the camera of course.

camera + face = bliss

Chelsea said...

He's officially the hottest guy ever. Not only that, but he's an amazing actor. I've been obsessing over his movies the last few weeks. The fall was ridiculousLY amazing. His acting, and the little girls acting were un-matchable. He's just such a believable actor.

Rent The Fall!!!

Valdine said...

I really like Pushing Daisies however I love love love him in The Fall. Have to say its one of my favorite movies..