Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Coming Soon #3: "The Prestige"

Coming Soon But Not Soon Enough
#3 The Prestige
(Disney Touchstone. Arriving in October)

I grew up in a fantasy/sci-fi loving environment. Played Dungeons & Dragons ...the whole deal. My childhood home suffered from geekaholicism. [or was blessed by...depending on your p.o.v.] Though I have largely left that world behind the cockles of my heart are still warmed by things magical, fantastical, or of similar ilk (excluding Harry Potter to which I am determinedly immune). The Prestige is a movie about rival magicians in turn of the century London. So, I'm there.

I love wizard battles. Gandalf Vs. Saruman , Queen Bavmorda Vs. Raziel , Madam Mim Vs. Merlin --give me more on a loop. I don't even care if the movie is cheesy or the f/x are lacking. Not that we need to worry about that in this case...

The production team who will be adapting this award-winning novel from Christopher Priest is led by director Christopher Nolan and DP Wally Pfister (both of Memento and Batman Begins fame). Headlining as the magicians are Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. The supporting lineup includes Michael Caine, Andy Serkis, and most enticingly David Bowie as the fascinating Serbian inventor Nikola Tesla and the ubiquitous Scarlett Johansson as...well, a love interest I'm guessing. Whew. That's a lot of prestige talent lined up for The Prestige itself.

Ah but who am I kidding. I've been breathlessly excited for this movie all because Joe Reid said "Batman Vs. Wolverine" back in October.


Reason enough.

tags: Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, magic, movies, Scarlet Johansson, David Bowie, The Prestige

previous "coming soons"
#4 A Prairie Home Companion, #5 Dreamgirls, #6 The Fountain, #7 Running With Scissors, #8 Volver, #9 Inland Empire, #10 Little Children, #11 Margaret, and #12 Bug

10 comments:

Ramification said...

Those two photos make me think of Christian Bale doing unspeakable things to Hugh Jackman and for that I thank you :)

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait for this film. This is probably the film I am most looking forward to in '06. I have written about this and more films on my blog if you or anyone else wants to check it out. Keep up the good work!

http://blog.myspace.com/devinconroy

Dr. S said...

Oh! Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman in the same movie?! Shiver me timbers.

Javier Aldabalde said...

I don't like Christian Bale OR Hugh Jackman for that matter. Nolan and Pfister aren't my cup of tea either (though I thank them for "Memento")... but really, this got here instead of "The Children of Men"???

Cuarón+Owen+Moore}}}}}Bale+Jackman+Nolan

Pfangirl said...

It's scary how often our geekish tastes coincide, Nat- fantasy, superheroes, Hugh Jackman, Michelle Pfeiffer in skintight leather.

Anyway, just to also say thanks for the blog. I've been popping in regularly now and having an awesome time...

BTW, unless I've missed it, what are your thoughts on V for Vendetta?

Glenn Dunks said...

I must say, I think Hugh would be the top in that (oh so orgasmic) relationship.

But seriously, HUGH (my first true love) and CHRISTIAN (my second true love) throw in David Bowie, Michael Caine, Scar.Jo.... and, well, colour me excited.

Anonymous said...

Does this have anything to do with the book Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell? Because it sounds like a carbon-copy. It has already won the Hugo and World Fantasy awards for best novel and is up for the Nebula, so it's not exactly an obscure book...

Anonymous said...

oh god, never mind...i should read the post a bit more carefully before posting next time! my bad...although now I have to read the C. Priest novel and compare!

NATHANIEL R said...

glenn, i gotta know why Hugh would be the top? ha ha

what's your thought process there... if it's too blue for blogging, just e-mail me ;)

Glenn Dunks said...

Hugh's an Aussie, mate!

lol ;-)