Monday, March 13, 2006

Find Him Guilty

Nathaniel: My cinema 2006 preview starts this week. Aren't you excited?
Readers: [crickets chirping].

See, I was looking at the NY Times Arts & Leisure section yesterday and realizing I'm getting excited about logging long hours in movie theaters again (I always swear it off in February when Oscar fatigue settles in). I am not, however, excited about seeing Vin Diesel's hairpiece. His new movie Find Me Guilty opens Friday. But at least it gave me an idea for a poll: the films of Sidney Lumet. Which is your favorite? If you're like "I don't know him." Think again. You do. Quite a filmography there. Just pretend not to notice the 90s abyss of Sharon Stone / Melanie Griffith clunkers. Sidney and I thank you in advance.

Suggested readings on Lumet's Network:
As Little As Possible and Nick's Flick Picks

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if you're asking me which is the best, I'd say "12 Angry Men", with a nod to "Dog Day Afternoon", not far behind it in second place. But if you're asking me which is my favourite, I LOVE "Running On Empty"; my choice as the Best Picture of 1988.

Rob

NicksFlickPicks said...

It's such a toss-up between Long Day's Journey into Night and Dog Day Afternoon that it's not even worth settling.

NATHANIEL R said...

aw cmon. vote anyway.

NATHANIEL R said...

rob -running on empty is my fav too. I lurve that movie more than just about anyone i've met. except maybe you? few movies can reduce me to a bawling mess, but that one can.

J.J. said...

"Network." Unequivocally. (Also, Lumet is quoted as saying Vin Diesel is one of the finest actors he's worked with, hairpiece or no...)

J.J. said...

Also, "The Verdict" is in second place.

NicksFlickPicks said...

Okay, Long Day's Journey into Night. Because it's maybe the only movie of a great American play that gets everything right about the play.

Anonymous said...

Nat - I see your bawling mess and raise you... well... another bawling mess! So pleased, because that movie EARNS the right to be lurved.

Rob

tim r said...

Aha. I thought I'd guessed who the other Long Day's Journey voter might be...

I've never seen Running on Empty, but I'm intrigued now.

Glenn Dunks said...

I voted 12 Angry Men. I need to see more of those movies though. They're on my BigPond list, they just need to be sent to me.

But, man, The Wiz is fucking awful (sorry). I just hated that movie so much. WTF was up with that? Just horrible horrible horrible.