Monday, March 27, 2006

Request: Animals in Movies

Each Monday I take a request. This week's topic comes from Cal, who insisted.

Favorite Animals in the Movies
This post is not about Snakes on a Plane --please people calm down! The movie doesn't even come out until the summer and it's all anybody can talk about on the internet. Sheesh. Rather than scour through lists of all the films I've seen in my life I'm going to just speak to this spontaneously. I am certain to miss some scaley or furry friend but I have a real life furball to attend to who doesn't like me to spend 12 hours a day on the computer. Since this topic is so broad I will limit myself to household beasts (and revisit later should people request the wild things as well...)

Fish
The first fish that pops into mind is forgetful "Dory" from Finding Nemo. Ellen Degeneres voiced hilarity aside, that probably has something to do with the cultural dominance of Disney/Pixar. I mean, even if you don't like a film from Disney it's probably still sitting there in your head. I'm also partial to that perpetually alarmed cutie in the bowl in Pinocchio. You know the one who lives with Gepetto's cat.

But as far as creatures of the sea go, I have to go with "Madison" in Splash. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Nathaniel, mermaids are not domesticated. They are only found on the shorelines of Manhattan, Copenhagen, Greece, and Neverland. And certainly never ever in people's home!" But stop right there. You don't know everything. I mean, I bet you didn't know that mermaids used crimping irons before Splash swam into theaters in the 80s, now did'ya smartypants?

Cat
I've already obsessed on both Catwoman and The Jungle Book's Bagheera on this blog. As a child I loved The Cat From Outer Space. Readers? Your fav felines?

Dog
Skippy is both my favorite dog actor and plays my favorite dog character, "Smitty," in one of the greatest films of all time, The Awful Truth starring Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. It's easy to see why they fight over this loveable pooch in their divorce case. In a totally unrelated aside, it's not easy to see how Irene Dunne lost the Oscar that year. If you haven't seen this movie put it at the tippy top of your Netflix queue. You won't regret it. Although you might start weeping inconsolably when you realize that the phrase "they don't make 'em like they used to" is an actual thunderbolt truth rather than a reductive cliché. Today's romantic comedies are like microorganisms compared to yesterday's higher beings. And isn't evolution supposed to work in the opposite direction? sigh.

Use the comments to discuss this entry or make a request for next week
previous: Cher (for David) and The Sound of Music (for Anonymous)

tags: dogs, entertainment, cats, mermaids, movies, Snakes on a Plane

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, Nathaniel. Great choices, although I must say that Splash was completely unexpected. I loved Doris, too.

But the greatest thing about this post is you're another one talking about The Awful Truth. Everybody must see this masterpiece.

Smitty is also my favourite animal.
Let me share my personal list.
1 Smitty - The Awful Truth, Dog
2 Orca - Orca, the killer whale (she rocks and kicks ass)
3 Ferdinand - Babe
4 Timon and Pumbaa - The Lion King
5 (tie) Verdell - As Good As It Gets and Flike - Umberto D.

cal roth

Anonymous said...

You're missing one of my favourite fish in film! Wanda! (Of "A Fish Called Wanda" fame)
Shame on you! (unless you don't like that film...in which case it's an understandable oversight)

Javier Aldabalde said...

Did somebody say fish? I haven't been fed all day

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,

I remember seeing Splash with you lo these many years ago.

I saw "Beastmaster" was on SciFi last weekend, and I remembered it was the first movie I ever saw with you and David. I was so thrilled that you guys invited me along.

I miss you!
Linda

NATHANIEL R said...

i miss you too!
Beastmaster, my goodness, that was a blast from the 80s past. ;)

Nathaniel
p.s. i still really love Splash.

Glenn Dunks said...

Never seen Splash.

But, what about the entire barn yard shenanigans of Babe?

Dory is a gem though ain't she?

Freaky coincidence? Two weeks ago Lassie was released in cinemas here in Australia, one week later we got The Shaggy Dog and in a couple of weeks we get Eight Below.

What's. With. All. The. Dogs. ???.