Thursday, March 09, 2006

Duck Season

A Mexican comedy called Temporada de patos, or Duck Season for Stateside release, opens tomorrow. I can't recommend this enough. I saw it @ the Toronto International Film Festival in 2004. Had it opened last year it would have made my top ten list without much of a struggle. We'll see how 2006 goes [tangent: 2006 is looking strong (yay) and yes, i'll be covering the new film year and what to watch for very soon.]

Duck Season's narrative isn't much, basically a 'one day in the life of' account of two best friends, a cute neighbor who drops by and a pizza delivery man who shows up late and won't leave. The film builds slowly but once you're attuned to its static rhythm, it's hard not to love and be roped in. Duck Season is blessedly its own thing--funny, unexpected, dorky, moving, and scrappy.

If you're lucky enough to be in either coastal metropolis (New York and Los Angeles) don't let this charmer pass you by. If you do you'll also miss one of the most interesting debuts in recent years. Director Fernando Eimbcke (pictured right) is 35 years old. He previously directed documentary shorts. If the crowd at 2004's Toronto Festival is any indication, most people find him as loveable as the film.

Duck Season: Trailer. Website. IMDB.

4 comments:

Javier Aldabalde said...

I saw this last year and I have you to thank. It's excellent.

Nick M. said...

I'll be in Manhattan this weekend -- but may not have time to check it out.

I have been looking forward to this, so I will see it next week, when it opens in Boston.

c.p. iñor said...

Temporada de Patos is great! eally, go see it if you can, you won't be dissapointed. I'm from Mexcio and I saw it in 2004.

Carlos Reyes said...

This has to be one of the strongest directorial debuts in a long long time. It is without a doubt the best Mexican film since "Y Tu Mama Tambien", everything about it is so phenomenal it is a must see!

It's getting raving reviews: 93% at rotten tomatoes says it all...

I loved the music a lot too, the best film I've seen this year along with "V For Vendetta"