Wednesday, December 05, 2007

20:07 (Moses Moses x 2)

Screenshots from the 20th minute and 7th second of movies
(can't guarantee the same results at home. I use a VLC)



Listen -- the trumpets tell all the world he’s come back to me! Hear them and all their shouts drowned by the beating of my heart
This first glimpse of Cecil B DeMille's eternal VistaVision classic The Ten Commandments is not at the 20:07 mark but I had to lead off with it. You see, my holy trinity of takeaways from this BIG movie break down like this:


  1. Yul Brynner's commanding presence

  2. The parting of the Red Sea (used to wow me as a tyke)

  3. Anne Baxter's boo-hiss femme fatale Nefretiri. In the screenshot above she's all hot and bothered about what's happening at this, the 20:07 mark. Witness...

The looooooord Moses: Prince of Egypt. Son of the pharoah’s sister
Pomp and circumstance, 50s VistaVision style. Every time I catch a glimpse of this movie I desperately want to get lost in Baxter's über quotability or Yul Brynner's bald everything. I know it's not original or revelatory to announced that I adore Baxter's "Moses Moses you splendid adorable fool" but when it comes to bible epics, I'm but a member of the vast gay flock ... and Camp is my shepherd.

No other Moses movies can compete but here's DeMille's first try (They've already let his people go?!!! Bible speed reading I tell you. Or did I put in the wrong disc. wha...?)


[title card preceeding this shot] All the hosts of the Lord went out from the land of Egypt. And they despoiled the Egyptians of jewels of silver, jewels of gold, and raiment. [Exodus 12:41-36]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bobby Lee: I know, I know, that is Ms. Anne Baxter in the Ten Commandments and those are the moves.

Anonymous said...

i think i become a actressexual on seeing the glorious ms baxter in this film,she was a thing of wonder to me,her line readings i was p/off evertime she went away i wanted the whole film to be about her,the campest ever big epic performance forget la liz in cleopatra the bax is where it's at!!!

Brian Darr said...

I watched a lot of Cecil B. DeMille silent movies in 2007, but I saved the Ten Commandments for later, hoping I'll get a chance to see the epic on the big screen. Though I'm not sure it's likely to play Frisco. Any Red States have thriving silent film screenings? I may need to travel for this one.

Anonymous said...

Technically, The Ten Commandments was in Cinemascope but Paramount's own rival widescreen process, VistaVision.

Also, that frame makes Anne Baxter look like Bob Hope in drag. What a schnozz!

Anonymous said...

That shoulda been "not in Cinemascope." Oh, well.

NATHANIEL R said...

tenderfoot. thanks for the correction. will fix