Tuesday, June 03, 2008

My Own Private Magic Kingdom

With Nathanial off hobnobbing with Mickey, Minnie and Tigger too I thought it a good time to ponder my own magic kingdoms from the movies. I have many -make that multitudes - from all genres and periods but more often than not they're located somewhere just left of center in the screwball comedy universe of the thirties.


Maybe it's the art deco, maybe it's the fact that everyone enjoys cocktails for lunch instead of Diet Coke or maybe it's the fact that five minutes out of bed and they're either wearing a tuxedo or an evening gown. Whichever it is I know this for sure: I want to spend my afterlife in the Rainbow Club from Topper.


First there's the sign: Elegant, deco, chic.



Then there's the music. If Rumba's not your style...



There's a Hawaiin band that takes over when they go on break.



The dining room has palm trees, mood lighting and champagne buckets aplenty ...



And to get to the second level down...



... you take the slide!



And you get to do it all in a tux and an evening gown with Cary Grant and Constance Bennett. What could be better? Order me up a Cosmopolitan and throw me a bongo. The Rainbow Club awaits.


Anyone else have any Magic Kingdoms of their own from the movies?

4 comments:

PIPER said...

I have some places.

The ski lodge from White Christmas. I want to recreate that place and walk every inch of it.

I hate skiing, but it is my dream to build a ski lodge like that in Vermont and retire there.

Another place is Jackrabbit Slims from Pulp Fiction. Ed Debevics doesn't even come close to how cool that place is.

Greg said...

Piper, I love that ski lodge too, despite not skiing myself. Also, pretty much in bar or lounge in any movie from the late fifties, early sixties as well. Hmmmm... I seem to focus on bars and lounges a lot. And yes, Jackrabbit Slims is another place I'd love to be.

NATHANIEL R said...

these are awesome places. I love the idea of slides in restaurants! so incronguous to the notion of evening wear ;)

Greg said...

Incongrous to the notion of drinking as well. Make sure you go down to the second level before loading up on Manhattans.