Thursday, April 30, 2009

Kelly McGillis Comes Out

The Amish will not be pleased.

Not that The Amish ever saw Witness (1985) mind you. Maybe they don't even know who she is. But wasn't she good in that film as the Amish widow who resists falling for Harrison Ford for as long as she can? I still find it a bit odd that she didn't end up in the Best Supporting Actress list that year. Her chemistry with Harrison Ford was crazyhot. Further proof that it's ridiculous that people think gay actors can't pull off romantic leading roles.

But back to Kelly. If you're saying "who?" you're forgiven. She had a very high profile career for five short years (two Oscar winning films with one blockbuster sandwiched inbetween) and then *poof*. Hollywood lost interest... or she did... or the public did. It happens.

It happens a lot. We just never know who it's going to happen to until they're gone. Someone who is all over high profile movies this year will be gone from the public consciousness by 2013, mark my words.

Cruise mounts McGillis in Top Gun. His sperm is magic

Kelly's sexual orientation has been gossiped about since at least her co-starring gig with Jodie Foster in The Accused 21 long years ago. Now, she's officially out and "done with the man thing." Her Top Gun co-star might call that statement "glib" but then...
*

15 comments:

raimunda said...

That's what Cruise does to women.

They hook up with country stars or go full on lesbo.

That being said, welcome to the club, Kelly. How do you like your milkshake, sweetie ?

Wayne B. said...

Wow so "Top Gun" had two gay (closeted) leads? That is amazing :P

Fernando Moss said...

I tought the other lead in "Top Gun" was Tom Cruise...

C'mon... HE'S SOOO NOT GAY!

;)

Wayne B. said...

Fernando - C'mon HE'S SOOOO NOT COMPLETELY STRAIGHT. He must be bisexual at the very least. At some point in the future there'll be some big scandal ala Rock Hudson. :)

Neel Mehta said...

Someone who is all over high profile movies this year will be gone from the public consciousness by 2013, mark my words.Can we pick that person right now?

Fernando Moss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fernando Moss said...

Wayne.- I was being sarcastic, you know, as in an I-DON'T-WANT-TO-BE-SUED kinda way... ;)

Wayne B. said...

It sucks how sarcasm doesn't come across in writing. I have a sarcastic sense of humor and whenever I write in that sarcastic tone I come off sounding like a bitch, lol. Oh well :)

p.s. He can sue my ass ANYTIME ;)

Cinesnatch said...

So, I guess the Top Gun love-making scene (which played a huge role in my sexual awakening ... go figure) now competes with the Sommersby intimate moment between Richard Gere and Jodie Foster as the most uncomfortable kiss on screen.

Janice said...

This is news? I first heard/read this a few years ago. Maybe it's only new news outside the "lesbian community"(whatever that means)?

And so as not to diss our bisexual friends (who probably feel pretty marginalized anyway in our "one side or the other" culture), if she's done the "man thing" and now doing the woman thing, doesn't that make her bi? I think women's sexuality tends to be more fluid (not those sorts of fluids) and flexible than male sexuality in general anyway.

But, good on Kelly if she's saying it. ('bout damn time.)

NATHANIEL R said...

Well it's not NEWS but for the fact that she's now saying it aloud --- if u chase the link there's a Vlog interview with Kelly

MRRIPLEY said...

CAN I JUST SAY KELLY'S FIRST NOM SHOULD'VE BEEN AS BEST SUPPORTIN GACTRESS IN REUBEN REUBEN,SHE WAS A REAL STUNNER I NTHAT AND WAS SUCH A PRESCENCE,I RE WATCHED IT AGAIN RECENTLY AND HER BREAK UP SCENE WITH TOM CONTI IS REALLY HEART BREAKING.

Agustin said...

i agree with Neel, we should guess who'll be gone from the public consciousness by 2013...
I'm thinking Ellen Page
this doesn't mean i don't like her, but i don't think she will last long

Erin said...

I'm amused that this happened the day after Top Gun was on TV and my gf and I were laughing at how gay it is.

Oh Kelly, you big stud, take me to bed or lose me forever!

John T said...

Thinking back on 2002, Catherine Zeta-Jones was a massive movie star and an Oscar winner-and now, nothing more than red carpet appearances. Proof that it can happen anytime.