Tuesday, April 06, 2010

DVDs: Disgusting Orcs, Hallucinated Iguanas, and Magical Oak

I haven’t had time to rescreen An Education yet for that article you voted on last week in the weekly DVD/Blu Ray roundup. But just load me up with more work, sadists! Which of these new or remastered/rereleased thingamoviejigs are you hankering to read Nathaniel’s take on?
  • Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans in which Nicolas Cage sees reptiles for crazy man Werner Herzog. This sounds kind of interesting but I can't escape Cage this week and that is *not* a good thing

  • The Lord of The Rings (animated!) in which Ralph Bakshi attempts to shove several epic books into two hours of cartoonage

  • Dirt! The Movie Jamie Lee Curtis tells us all about the magical powers of earth in this documentary

  • The Natural (director's cut) Robert Redford's golden baseball drama from 1984. With Glenn Close, Barbara Hershey and Kim Basinger

  • Jade Warrior some Finnish (?) martial arts epic




You chose BAD LIEUTENANT. Here's the Write Up.

16 comments:

Michael Shetina said...

Hated Bad Lieutenant, but Nic Cage's performance was so much fun.

Cinesnatch said...

Loved Bad Lieutenant (way better than original) and Nicolas Cage was in rare form.

gabrieloak said...

I hear the extras on An Education are very good. And there's a cut scene with Peter S. that should have been left in. Would also like to see the alternate ending.

FrenchGirl said...

Bad lieutenant:funny movie(a guilty pleasure?)

cal roth said...

Cage is AWESOME this time.

Unknown said...

The Natural. I love reading your take on Glenn Close performances. Plus it's a movie I haven't seen since I was 5 or 6.

Rob T. said...

Rather than any of these choices, I think you should go back and review a movie that came out on DVD a few weeks ago after several decades of being out of circulation in any form (except for excerpts), the pioneering rock concert movie The T.A.M.I. Show. James Brown, the young Rolling Stones, the young Marvin Gaye, Chuck Berry, the Beach Boys, the Supremes...I would love to read what you had to write about a movie with these performers and more.

David Coley said...

I'd love to see your take on "lizard vision" in Bad Lieutenant.

Sammy V said...

I was very mixed on Bad Lieutenant, as I mentioned on my blog. Cage was brilliant, but the movie was definitely a downer.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Bad Lieutenat by all means! Herzog and Cage were so damn brilliant together!
The movie's mix of odd humor, violence and character study worked so well that I even enjoyed Eva Mendes' performance. Yes, I said "performance", "enjoyed" and "Eva Mendes" in the same sentence.

NATHANIEL R said...

@Jose -- Have these three words ever been uttered together before? The combinations that language is capable of!

Orion said...

None of the above. Focus on "An Education" instead.

Burning Reels said...

Has to be The Bad Lieutenant - Cage and Herzog must work together again. However, I am unsure of what you'll make of it.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Why aren't people lining up in the streets to ask you to watch Dirt? It sounds fantastic...

Janice said...

Um, can I vote "none of the above"?

Anonymous said...

Where I can read about it?