Wednesday, April 21, 2010

'Is it a crime to link at Lange?'

popbytes Kate Winslet as Mildred Pierce. Have a looksee
Huffington Post
rightly declares that Christina Hendricks is looking way too much like Julianne Moore in Esquire. But now that she's pulled off that trick, can we have some big movie roles please?
Critical Condition investigates Iceland in the movies. Very cool topic. I'm possibly going to Iceland for the first time this year. We've been planning it forevah
The Big Picture bemoans the Oscarlessness of the late great film editor Dede Allen. Such a giant of the field and I didn't know she'd died since I've been film festivalling :(
Movies Kick Ass ♥ Jayma Mays on Glee. As do I
Back Stage Blog Stage Despite critical drubbings, Addams Family could well win big at the Tony Awards this summer. One wonders when we'll get another stage musical based on a movie that's actually good enough to move back to the movies (see Hairspray)

Finally, I hope you've visited me pal Nick's site Nick's Flick Picks recently...

He's really outdone himself with three evocative portraits of Oscar winning actresses: Julie Christie, Jessica Lange and Emma Thompson. His beautiful incisive studies of these legends are more than a little intimidating but so worth having in the world. My favorite is the one on Christie. I don't share Nick's love of Lange but neither is it a crime to look at her. His writeup helps me understand what some think all the fuss is (or was) about.
*

12 comments:

Jude said...

Whenever I read "forevah" I immediately think of Nicole Kidman singing in Moulin Rouge, when she does Elephant Love Medley...

"We could be heroes, forevah and evaaah!"
Gotta love that Australian accent!

James T said...

So, I posted 5 links to Mildred Pierce and there are still 100 more! Is this the first miniseries that releases photos from the set every. single. day? Is Kate really that big now?

She deserved it!

Lara said...

Everybody keeps saying Christina Hendricks looks like Julianne Moore in that pic but all I see is Bernadette Peters.

mrripley said...

Can someone please cleAr this up for my 1991 actress nominees my life depends on it,this was brought to life by nicks JESSICA LANGE retrospective on nicksflickpicks.

was lange lead or support in 91's cape fear - HELP!!!!

NATHANIEL R said...

@mrripley -- i'd say she's supporting. The film is really a two male lead film Nolte vs. DeNiro with Lewis & Lange as the supporting actresses. That's how I see it.

@Lara -- good call! It is very Bernadette.

@James T - hasn't she always been that big? Since Titanic I mean.

Michael B. said...

Nathaniel's right...After Titanic, Kate's been a huge star...but these are paparazzi pictures and they're not released by HBO. I just think the paps are interested in Winslet/Divorce/Filming.

Slater said...

You might want to hold off going to Iceland for a bit. The weather and all.

James T said...

Though it's true that until 2006 I mostly had information about anything from Greek TV and Kate surely was not that big.

But even from 2006 until now, I think there is an important growth in fame after the Oscar (or the Globes? not sure). I mean, noone care THAT much about the shooting of The Reader. Revolutionary Road was bigger because of the reunion.

And I'm not sure all of the material is from paparazzi. I've even seen a video that seemed as made for marketing purposes.

Either way I'm just happy things are the way they are. :)

Kurtis O said...

Do keep your readers up-to-date on your upcoming Icelandic excursion. I can't wait to hear about your adventures and compare them to mine. Also curious to hear about what movie-ish things you take away from it. As I told you before, the Blue Lagoon struck me as a Bond villain's posh lair, but I didn't connect to the place on a cinematic level as I normally do on other trips. Last year I went to Rome and had movie nostalgia overload (even swung by Hadrian's Villa in Tivoli, the Heaven shooting locale from "Angels in America" -- amazing!). That trip inspired me to write a movie-themed essay, which I was planning to do again with the Iceland vaca, linking film experiences to travel experiences. But the best filmic connection I could come up with was "Journey to the Center of the Earth," no incarnation of which I'm all that fond of. And unlike the "Iceladish" author in the link you provided, I'm not exactly up to snuff on Icelandic cinema.

MRRIPLEY said...

Appreciated Nat that means Lange is out of Best Actress for me leaving Bening there in 5th spot for bugsy,can I give her a Supp nom i don't think so.

Cory Rivard said...

Yay! Great title! I love Huckabees references!

Cory Rivard said...

Or... I guess I should say that I heart them.