Friday, August 13, 2010

Welcome to Camp Crystal Lake...

Craig here. You all know what day it is, so...

I was supposed to go camping with friends today, but due to unforeseen circumstances it wasn't to be. And for a fan of Sean Cunningham's original Friday the 13th - and, in fact, the entire film series - it would've been the, er, perfect day to pitch a tent, take in the scenery and enjoy a saunter through the woods down to the lake... whilst trying to avoid people with the surname Voorhees - people like this severely narked-off mother:


But if I really wanted to go camping in true F13 style, I'd have to go to Blairstown, New Jersey, where Cunningham chose to shoot the original film. Imagine spending the night in the great outdoors there? The only sound might just be a distant... Ki-Ki-Ki Ma-Ma-Ma... echoing all the way through decades of sequels, spin-offs, TV show cross-overs and reboots to scare the bejesus out of you.

So, instead of a jaunt camping in the Peak District or at the original movie's NJ filming location, tonight on Friday the 13th 2010 - the original film's 30th anniversary year - I'll vicariously enjoy the slasher sights and deadly delights of Camp Crystal Lake by watching one of the ten F13 films (twelve, if we count Freddy vs Jason and the 2009 remake - and why wouldn't we?). But I'll still use my Jason camping travel mug regardless. Someone please pass me the reddest of clarets?

But which Friday the 13th installment is your preferred Voorhees-based viewing?

Here's a handy opening titles snippets selection of all 12 films to jog your memory:

13 comments:

Jason Adams said...

I can't seem to help myself and always watch Part 3 whenever I'm in the mood. And I always forget that it's really Part 2 that I want to watch, but I get excited about the terrible terrible 3D effects of eyeballs flying at the screen and my brains gets all foggy. Anyway what I'm saying is is people should watch Part 2. It has Tom McBride in it and therefore wins.

Sawyer said...

Call me crazy, but I LOVE Jason X, the one where Jason wakes up in the future and terrorizes a spaceship.

Anonymous said...

4 me it´s always been part 4, Jason is badass in that one and the chase at the end is really intense+it´s Savini, need I say more?

Jason Adams said...

Sawyer, when a movie begins by having DAVID CRONENBERG get JAVELINED through on a SPACESHIP, there is no need to feel any shame in loving it. Also, this happens. AWESOME.

Glenn Dunks said...

Love this series of films, even though there are as many bad entries as good. I'll watch anything this series throws out (well, unless they make another one directed by Marcus Nispel - that 2009 remake was disastreous).

My favourite of the series is Part 3. Not only does it have some ace kills and Jason in his hockey mask, but REALLY TERRIBLE 3D! Watch as the arrow comes flying at the screen with the string still attached! Watch as the worst bikey in cinematic history waves a pitchfork in your face! Incredible. Plus, hello, the Friday the 13th disco theme!

ThomY said...

Part "VI" is the best, then Part "VII."

Kyle said...

I actually really enjoy Freddy vs. Jason the most...and I really dislike both series.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Part 6 is my favorite and, IMO, it is a masterpiece of the slasher genre. Honestly, there are way too many people who don't get that movie.

Tim B. said...

They're all fun, but i'm craving the fifth at the moment. Where there's the woman in the trees with pendulous boobies and the old Ethel calls someone a "big dildo"

Andrew R. said...

I hate this series.

OtherRobert said...

It has to be the original. The twist is one of the best in the field of slashers.

dzong2 said...

What a fun "blast from the past" topic!

I was also partial to Part Four myself, which had a more interesting set of characters, and an attempt at continuity with the other films.

I've seen seven out of twelve and I think Part Five was the worst.