Monday, March 08, 2010

UP and the Post-Oscar Sadness of Helium Balloons

This morning, post-High Holy Day (i.e. The Oscars) the apartment floor was brightly colored in spots, littered as it was with tired helium balloons. Lying there on the floor, they're the perfect symbol of post-Oscar melancholy. To think, just last night they drifted so beautifully above the partygoers, dangling their cute little yellow houses. This morning they still look festive, but the life has gone out of them. They're like an Actress who accidentally fell asleep in her Oscar gown. Technically she's still beautiful but her glamour has smeared all over the pillow and she's lost a heel.

UP inspired decor in earlier more festive hours

Time for a pot of coffee, a long shower and then -- gird your loins -- the whole 365 day process begins anew.

I know some people were frustrated that I didn't live-blog the Oscars but I've only ever done that once and didn't enjoy it. It's my Christmas and who wants to go to work on Christmas day? Especially for a job that doesn't pay. The site and blog have always been a labor of love and though they've led to freelance work... they're for passion rather than bank.

Anyway... most of the food from last night's party was devoured so clean up was easy. Curiously two of the offerings that got the most comments and laughs didn't set mouths watering.


Maybe people only want bananas at a party if it's more like the party Peter Sarsgaard had in mind for An Education? The bunch was still mostly intact. And even with its 100% Authentic Certification, most party guests avoided "Bad Blake's Pee". Looking at it this morning in the fridge, it does look rather unhealthy. Bad Blake is way dehydrated! Drink lots and lots and lots of water before the next Crazy Heart tour, Bad!



gif borrowed from the great
fourfour



Oscars in Review: worst & weirdest moments, most wonderful moments and all 09/10 awards season posts

Next Week: "We Can't Wait" 2010 Preview and the return to our usual cinematic musings and actressy diversions

10 comments:

par3182 said...

chin up, it's less that 365 days with no pesky winter olympics next year

Rob said...

Yeah.... My web connection died last night, so I ended up in bed here in the UK. Its always depressing when it's over...

But it'll start all over again soon....

PS lovin' the 'All About My Mother' poster... I have that one too !!

Burning Reels said...

A bout de souffle poster - you're such a cliche Nathaniel;)

Did you watch the sky coverage Rob?

The Sky panel weren't horrendous or get in the way too much but I wish they'd get someone with a little knowledge on the subject...

James T said...

The banana idea was brilliant and hilarious! You should have invited me :p I eat bananas every day. That is, in the boring sense.

Lara said...

Thank you, Nathaniel, for writing and upkeeping this wonderful blog and and a big shout out to all your talented guest bloggers.

Rob said...

Hey Burning Reels,

I don't have Sky TV in my buildig, so I didn't. I planned to watch on the web, but I've known them be pretty useless most years, because no one knows shit about film. I inadvertantly deleted my FLASH player, and ended up going to bed early.

And yeah Nate - I just need to say how much I love your podcasts. They are SO good - I feel so jolly when I've listened to them on the way to work. Your site (and insight) is petty much the best there is.

NATHANIEL R said...

rob thank you.

we'll try to do another podcast very soon. just releasing it unedited like i did last night it probably the best way to go. i just have control freak problems.

Alexa said...

the bad blake pee is priceless.

Walter L. Hollmann said...

I held a party at my parents' house, but my mother absolutely refused to serve bananas for An Education. Neither would she go with my backup, cherries. We went with eclairs, because (a) one of her friends brought them, and (b) well...you know...

Stella said...

Be sure to mention all your other Oscar themed foods on the next podcast!