Friday, October 07, 2005

Pre-Show: Good Night and Good Luck

I can't see Good Night and Good Luck until tomorrow, so enjoy a list of my favorite things in relation to this unseen film.

My Favorite...

...previous film featuring hand-wringing over the McCarthy blacklist: The Way We Were(1973)
...Patricia Clarkson performance: High Art (1998)
...George Clooney perfomance: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) or Out of Sight(1998)
...David Strathairn memory: I-eee-I-eeee-I have always loved him. Since the 1980s. I love him long time.
...Robert Downey Jr trivia: He was Sarah Jessica Parker's main squeeze (7 years!) prior to her marriage to Matthew Broderick.
...Matt Ross performance: The Aviator(2004). And yes, I am still pissed that he was not included in SAG's nominee list for The Aviator's "Ensemble." Just because you're not famous does not mean you did not contribute to the film. Especially when you have more screentime than many of the movie stars.
...Ray Wise role: Leland Palmer in David Lynch's unforgettable Twin Peaks.
...recent black & white film: The Man Who Wasn't There(2001)
...all time black & white film: Manhattan(1978)
...weird thing about Frank Langella: (3 -Way Tie) Former Whoopi Goldberg lover (real life). Former Madonna lover (reel life) in Body of Evidence(1993). Former silver screen sex symbol inDracula (1979)
...thing about George Clooney: Unashamedly liberal. Rock on, George!
...Jeff Daniels performance: The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
...Robert Downey Jr performance: Less Than Zero (1986)
...film about harried TV executives: Network(1976)
...film work of Robert Elswit (Cinematographer): Punch-Drunk Love(2002)
...example of the exaggerated notion that Hollywood is ultra-liberal: On the Waterfront, Elia Kazan's 50s apologia for the naming-of-names won 8 Oscars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see this film but won't be able to for weeks given its crappy release pattern.

I love- or at least really like- everyone involved so I can't wait to hear what you think. I'm particularily pleased for Strathairn. Oscar nomination or not, it's great to see such a reliaable character actor with so much range get such a plum lead role. I currently think he'll be the SAG nominee but will miss out at the Oscars to Tommy Lee Jones (alongside Phoenix, Ledger, Hoffman and either Clooney or Penn).

I've long been a Clooney fan, too, and I'm happy he's having such a good year.