Thursday, April 12, 2007

Inside La Pfeiffer's Studio

In concept I adore the long running television series "Inside the Actors Studio". No matter how much it is discussed the actors process is still a mysterious / riveting thing to me. But in execution I despise the show itself. It's one overly long tongue bath for celebrities both praiseworthy and un. In the place of actual soul searching you get faux regurgitated revelations with carefully prepackaged and scripted PR drivel. I only watch it when I stupidly allow myself to hope that it will be interesting suddenly or (more commonly) when a star I love too much deigns to appear and be drooled on by James Lipton. He's the singularly most annoying interviewer in the history of televised interviews (which is saying a lot) and this season (date TBA) his spittle will be landing on my very own goddess, Michelle Pfeiffer.


La Pfeiffer is hardly unacclimated to being worshipped. Most people would call an hour of shameless "you are the [superlative] [profession] who ever lived" honors as one of the great days of their life. For Pfeiffer one assumes she'll call it, oh, "Tuesday". She won't be alarmed at the thesaurus of awestruck adjectives that will accompany Mr. Lipton's hour of "conversation". But I will. I've been known to drop truckloads of worshipful adjectives at her feet myself so I know this will read hypocritical but listening to James Lipton do it will make me profoundly uncomfortable. Because you see: I know that everyone gets this treatment be they legends, strangely enduring mediocrities, or flashes-in-pans. To James Lipton Michelle Pfeiffer is interchangeable with, say, Kate Hudson. And that just ain't right.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right about Lipton, and this show has gone down the tubes recently, I mean they had Dave Chappelle(who i love, but come on) and many other weird guests. But, Lipton is a HUGE Pfeiffer fan, so I imagine Pfeiffer might mean more to him than most of his previous guests. hey, maybe Pfeiffer will get a 2 hour episode, I think Pacino and a couple of others got a 2 hour show. On the other hand, seeing as how Pfeiffer hates doing those kinds of shows, I would imagine an hour would be plenty for her.

Anonymous said...

Streisand got a 2 hour show. Jennifer JLo Lopez was recently on....thank God - it was one hour. About 55 minutes too long at best. When I saw she was on - I felt the show hit an all-time low.

Anonymous said...

This is all gearing up for her Oscar Win come next year for Supporting Actress in Hairspray!

Anonymous said...

My fingers are crossed....

Anonymous said...

Who knows?

Anonymous said...

Maybe?

NATHANIEL R said...

now would be the IDEAL time for Pfeiffer to line up a hard hitting juicy drama. with three popcorn movies to restore her to magazine covers and media glare... follow that up with a big gorgeous dramatic lead and she's in the race again.

but will she do it?

she hasn't exactly shown that she's all that interested in a strategic career.

Anonymous said...

I dont know Nat, I just have no faith in her in that area. She's just not that smart when it comes to her career, she's so much better than the crap she chooses.

still waiting for a 2008 project.....but I fear she will take another break.

Glenn Dunks said...

She deserved the oscar for Grease 2. Her rendition of "Cool Rider" was easily the most amazing thing in the history of cinema, right?

Anonymous said...

She's an "Amazing" Actress.

Anonymous said...

Hairspray will rock!

Anonymous said...

I see an "AWARD" coming her way.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous people scare me

Anonymous said...

Be afraid, be very afraid. Anyway, yeah, Pfeiffer is awesome.

mistyh92104 said...

Thank you, Nat, for your excellent commentary on ITAS. I feel the same as you do in all respects. I think that were I to meet Lipton in person it would be hard not to throw a drink in his face just to see his reaction (that is if he even has one at all).

I haven't even watched the show in a long time because he has pretty much exhausted the talent pool over the years. I think that he might want to "reinvite" some of the earlier actors who have actually had substantial careers and do some updates. Then again, I suppose that having "actors" like J Lo and Dave Chapelle brings an audience that translates into...well, you get my point.

Having said that, I am heartened that La Pfeiffer will be a future guest; I guess that he hasn't completely exhausted the talent pool after all!

Love ya, Misty

Amy said...

Elton John was on his show. It lost it's credibility long before Jennifer Lopez and Dave Chapelle.

Anonymous said...

Elton John? Sheesh.

One of the things that elevates my respect for la Kidman is that she has never done ITAS and to my knowledge has no interest in ever doing so. (Nicole, darling, please don't make me eat my words, it would be tres embarrassing.)

-RSD

Anonymous said...

Why is Pfeiffer so worshipped on this blog .. as an actress she is one dimensional at best .. her beauty has gotten her where she is today ... Grease 2???? you have got to be kidding ???!!! or simply no taste. It is obvious that the public at large dismisses her. I don't think the roles she has taken this year will get her anywhere.