Tuesday, June 05, 2007

DVD Releases

new
Maxed Out I'm still scared to see this documentary horror movie on America's credit card debt. But maybe it'll be less scary in my living room than in a dark theater.
Norbit Eddie Murphy smothered in latex, Oscarless.
(Murphy fans: Coming To America also gets a special today)
Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael I saw this in theaters in 1990 when it was released to cash in on the Winona Ryder craze. Beetlejuice and Heathers had created her fanbase. Edward Scissorhands and Mermaids were just two months away and would bring said fanbase to fever pitch, especially once paired with the Johnny Depp romance. I remember literally nothing about this particular movie other than a) I was excited to see it and b) I was surprised to find that Noni did not play a character named Roxy Carmichael.

for Oscar Watchers
The Sand Pebbles The Steve McQueen Navy drama that was nominated for (and lost) eight Oscars including Best Picture and Best Actor --it was McQueen's only nomination.
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert --this hilarious Aussie drag comedy, already a classic, gets a special edition called "extra frills". Remember when it famously won the costume Oscar? One of its designers accepted the statue in a dress made of gold credit cards. Pretty impressive stuff. The accomplishment is even more impressive when you realize how great the costume category was that year. Queen Margot and Bullets Over Broadway would've been likely (and worthy) winners in other years. If I ran the world that would not have been Priscilla's only nomination either. Terence "no more f***ing ABBA" Stamp for best actor! Can I get backup on that?

other special editions
Jackass the Movie / Jackass Number Two
I have actually seen both of these (surprise!). The first was a rude hilarious blast to watch with friends. The second bored me silly. And I even saw it with the same friends. And I even still love them just as much. I thought this review @ Pajiba was classic: more entertaining than the movie.
Meatballs Bill Murray plays camp counselor in this popular '79 comedy. As camp comedies though, I gotta have Wet Hot American Summer. I just gotta have it.

be very afraid
Elektra (unrated directors cut) and Fantastic Four (extended)
These movies were bad enough in theatrical form. Now they're even longer? Sometimes technology is very very cruel. DVDs make movie watching so much easier but they also cause this sort of indulgence. Oh the humanity...

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Terence Stamp as Bernadette is definitely on my list of best non-nominated performances.

Anonymous said...

Steve McQueen should have been nominated for Love With The Proper Stranger, but: "... Natalie was nominated for an Oscar for her performance. McQueen's name was apparently withdrawn from the list at the last minute due to him 'upsetting' too many 'suits' at the Academy."

Does anybody know more about this?

Cinesnatch said...

A Stamp nomination would have been amazing.

Anonymous said...

It's about TIME Priscilla... received a special edition. Wonderful film and great blog by the way! I will likely be linking you at mine.

Michael Parsons said...

"Listen here you mullet!!" Brilliant, but also impressive were Hugo and Guy. I still cannot get over how convincing Guy was in that role. I was SO disappointed to learn he batted for the breeders.

Sigh.

adam k. said...

Is "say what sunday" not happening after all?

And can we just take a moment to appreciate how brilliant Once is? OMG. Another great musical. Pinch me.

Yaseen Ali said...

Rory Kennedy's Ghosts of Abu Gharib also releases tomorrow - that's what I'm looking forward to (as much as one can look forward to a movie about torture.)

NATHANIEL R said...

adam i already took a moment to appreciate ONCE's brilliance. albeit at zoom in ;)

I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT SAY WHAT.

oops. i am so stressed lately

Anonymous said...

the costume design categorie was so strong they did nominate Sandy Powell for Interview with the Vampire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

just curious, when do you think you will update your oscar predictions nathaniel?

Jill said...

When you consider what a super-heartthrob Terence Stamp was in the 60's (Modesty Blaise is a ridiculous movie, but DAMN, he is FINE), and how preposterously handsome he remained far longer than your garden-variety English actor, that he was so good as Bernadette was nothing short of astonishing.

Even if he did remind me of Hermione Gingold.

Jae Ly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I believe the "Elektra" (Unrated Director's Cut) came out in October 2005. It was basically the same movie with a different soundtrack.

I picked up the "FF4" Extended today with free Movie Cash to "FF4: Rise." :). I'm curious to see the scenes that were cut because they were too similar to "The Incredibles" (which copied off the "FF4" comic in the first place).

The strangest thing is the synopsis in the back omitted Ioan Gruffudd's name: "Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans head a sexy, star-powered cast..."

It's bad enough having the leader Mr. Fantastic on the edge of the cover -- but that's just rude!

Glenn Dunks said...

Terence Stamp had two amazing performances in the '90s. Priscilla and The Limey, which nobody seems to have seen, unfortunately.

Still, he is amazing as Bernadette in Priscilla (Guy Pearce and Hugo Weaving were great too). So many genius line readings.

"A cock in a frock on a rock"

"No more fucking ABBA!"

"I'm sure your mates will be much more impressed if you just go back to the pub and fuck a couple of pigs on the bar."

And then there's the whole "trumpet" bit which was edited out for America, right? That's what I read.

I wish someone would post old clips like Priscilla winning the Oscar on youtube.

Glenn Dunks said...

Oh, and how could I forget "You've got a face like a cat's arse"? One of the movie's best lines!

Glenn Dunks said...

Oh! It is on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k20DJpta3F4

Amazing.

NATHANIEL R said...

wow. it's rare that the academy lets those clips stay up

Glenn Dunks said...

They probably thought "oh, it's only costume design from 12 years ago".

I wish I could watch all of the shows from that time. It'd be a blast.