Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Curio: Jack Lemmon Paper Doll

Alexa here. No matter how many times I see it, Some Like It Hot always surprises me with its modern sensibility; the way it broadly satirizes traditional notions of sexuality seems like a miracle, given the fact that it was filmed in the 50s. Marilyn is the orb around which the screwball orbits, and Tony Curtis' Cary Grant impersonation is priceless, but for my money Jack Lemmon is the star of this show. He moves from a simple, horny bass player to a state of total gender confusion, alternately repeating to himself "I'm a girl, I'm a girl" or "I'm a boy, I'm a boy", depending on his guise. I always believed that he and Osgood could have made a go of it in the end, Proposition 8 be damned!

Alex over at Film Forager is also feeling the Lemmon love, and he created this Jerry/Daphne paper doll as part of her Movie Sketch Project series. He even comes with his fiddle, complete with bullet holes! If you are interested in buying one, Alex will sell 'em to you for "wicked cheap."

2 comments:

Michael said...

Aw those are cute!

Alex said...

Oh wow thanks for posting this! That's so nice of you!