Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Multiplexes of Manhattan Missing Their Main Man

This morning I started feeling guilty about my annual break from the multiplex [which usually lasts from mid January to right about now when I start feeling, well, guilt. Raised in a religious home. I know from guilt, OK?] To reassure myself that it was indeed OK to deny those theater chairs my gorgeous ass I clicked over to box office mojo to see what America is watching.

The top dozen so far? 1 Underworld: Evolution 2 Big Momma's House 2 3 Hostel 4 Glory Road 5 Last Holiday 6 When a Stranger Calls 7 Nanny McPhee 8 The Pink Panther 9 Final Destination 3 10 Annapolis 11 Curious George 12 Tristan and Isolde. My feelings about this list. [thanks, fourfour]

A whole lotta gore, unneccessary sequelage, and double helpings o' James Franco. So, yeah. I'm OK right here in my swivel chair for another week. Though I'm sure that Julianne Moore will drag me out of the comforts of my apartment and back to the movie theater. She's the dangling carrot that the multiplex will resort to soon. Wish me luck @ Freedomland.

7 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

well we still have all the Oscar films coming out throughout January-March (latest release change, is History of Violence being moved to the weekend AFTER the Academy Awards!) so that's alright.

But my god there are some awful movies out right now. I don't care about the horror movies (they're always gonna be there, it's just that they're really popular right now) its the really bad looking movies like Mammas House 2 and The Pink Panther

This last weekend had four new releases - three (FD3, PP and CG) were based on other ideas, and the other (Firewall) is classed as "original" but soooo isn't. Me and my friends haven't seen a movie in the cinema based on an original idea in ages. Sad.

Javier Aldabalde said...

Is "Manderlay" out yet?

NATHANIEL R said...

yes. manderlay is out. i'll obviously be headed back this weekend for Juli and Lars (unfortunately not together)

Anonymous said...

"She's the dangling carrot that the multiplex will resort to soon." -Nathaniel you are a God and if your "musings" got any wittier I will simply die from pleasure.

Oh- speaking of upcoming releases, curious, are you going to see Basic Instinct 2?- if not for the sake of Ms. Stone and next years Film Bitch Awards (Sex Pot / Sex Scene!) Maybe? Definitely? Can’t wait for your most anticipated list!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to see freedomland... Julianne Moore's comeback....?????? hopefully... but also if the film isn't great I'm sure SHE (as always) is - that's what the trailer shows................ one of americans best actresses..... she DESERVES the oscar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn Dunks said...

We got a regular Elaine Benes there with the !!!s. Loves it.

Anonymous said...

I cant wait for Freedomland either. Julianne Moore should get another Oscar nomination and finally WIN!