Friday, February 23, 2007

Voices in His Head

I'm not sure how I'd never heard this but while on the stair machine at the gym this week the TV was playing that Millionaire game show and it was "movie week" One of the questions asked the contestant to identify the three voices that Anthony Hopkins used as inspiration for Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.

Truman Capote, Katharine Hepburn and Hal 9000. Crazy, huh?
[This trivia item has been brought to you by Nathaniel's Oscar exhaustion. Final predictions tomorrow. -editor]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, just thought I'd let you know, Anthony Stewart Head is going to be in Sweeney Todd as "Ballad Ghost"

Whoo!

-PoliVamp

Glenn Dunks said...

The odd thing is I can totally get those three as the inspiration.

adam k. said...

See, I get Hal (the mechanistic equanimity) and Katherine (when he relishes words like "fava beans" and "chianti") but I don't hear Truman Capote anywhere. Ummm...

Plus, who the hell would ever know this??? If you and I and the rest of us didn't know, I don't know who would actually know.

Glenn Dunks said...

I assume the question was something along the lines of "who wasn't part of the inspiration behind the voice of Hannibal Lecter" or such and such. If that was the case I wonder what the fourth possibility was.

NATHANIEL R said...

well the thing was i totally guessed it the question was something like Anthony Hopkins said he based the voice of Hannibal lecter on Katharine Hepburn, Truman Capote and ....

and then it gave four choices. Of the four I totally instinctually knew... just thinking about the slow eery calm (i don't remember what the other choices were, alas)

Anonymous said...

I've seen a few interviews where Anthony Hopkins has spoken about this. I thought it was common knowledge, but I guess not. :)