Monday, February 12, 2007

We Can't Wait #2 Zodiac

Naomi forgot to teach Jake the one about not getting into stranger's cars

Only two films made each individual "we can't wait" list that were combined to make this communal list. This is the first. Zodiac is David Fincher's first entry into the serial killer genre since the blockbuster Se7en way back in 1995. This film's all star cast is led by Jake Gyllenhaal (hmmm, i wonder why this made everyone's lists?) and also features Robert Downey Jr, Chloe Sevigny, Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Edwards, Brian Cox, Dermot Mulroney, Donal Logue and Clea Duvall. I've liked or loved all but one of Finchers films (yes, including Alien 3 though I'm tilting towards negative on The Game) so I'm excited. But that trailer seems a little, hmm, sedate (?) for this sort of thing. What say ye?

Joe: It did seem a little sedate, Nathaniel, you’re right. But I’ve learned my lesson about underestimating Fincher before. I mean, Se7en totally looked like just another thriller with a cool hook.

I think it’s also worth mentioning that this is the first time Fincher’s made a movie set in the past. Does that make a difference? Will it open up new avenues? I have a lot of confidence that this will end up being worth the wait.

Lulu: This flick plays to my inner freak. Serial killer story + ahunkahunka 70s men? I'm officially -- ahem -- stirred.

Gabriel: Fincher's assembled all the pieces for Zodiac to usher in his renaissance. But the devil will be in the details. For me, this film is all about the execution.

JA: The first trailer didn't thrill me as much as I'd hoped, but the new spots I've seen playing on TV cut out the distractions (that horrible song choice at the end of the first trailer, for one) and are bringing me back to my usual level of Fincher-worship. Fincher's not made a single movie I've disliked (don't you go dissing The Game, Nat!), in fact I sort of bow before them all in awe, and you add My Man Jake to the mix and you've created a me-shaped-hole in the wall where I've already left for the movie theater.

Previous Related Articles:
Brad Pitt's next flick reteaming with David Fincher * Coming Soon the last time I did this countdown Zodiac was also featured * Totally Gratuitous Jake Gyllenhaal posting

previously on "we can't wait"
#3 Sweeney Todd, #4 Evening, #5 Lust, Caution, #6 I'm Not There, #7 Margot at the Wedding, #8 moved to 2008, #9 The Golden Compass,#10 Grindhouse, #11 Bug, #12, Sunshine, #13 Southland Tales, #14 300, #15 Hot Fuzz, #16 Stardust, #17 The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, #18 Spider-Man 3, #19 Rendition, #20 The Bourne Ultimatum Intro -films that didn't make the list

tags: Jake Gyllenhaal, David Fincher, serial killer, movies, cinema,zodiac

16 comments:

Corey S. said...

I am really anxious to hear what's the #1 movie you all have been anticipating. I am really hoping that it is what I think it might be. The next big film from "CB" perhaps?

Anonymous said...

My guess is Eastern Promises.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember kind of stumbling onto Seven - gah - 12 years ago because I had just seen Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects and was interested in seeing him again. Needless to say, it was a bit of a surprise. Is anyone else bothered by the fact that they seem heavy on the double knit and sideburns with every character *except* Jake Gyllenhaal's? Maybe it'll be explained in the story (something about how Graysmith is out of step with the times)?

Anonymous said...

My guess for Nats #1 pick...Charlie Wilson's War or that Natalie Portman/Scarl. Johannson movie...but I'm glad we only have to wait 3 more weeks until Zodiac...

Anonymous said...

My Blueberry Nights for #1!

Joel said...

Why did every hate the music at the end of the 1st trailer? Sure - its Rod Stewart, but I thought it made for some great atmosphere...

Glenn Dunks said...

I sure did think My Blueberry Nights would show up on the list, but I doubt it for #1.

Am looking forward to Zodiac, but the release date scares me. People will throw around the argument that Silence of the Lambs was released in February, but times have changed since 1991.

My guess for #1 is The Bourne Ultimatum. Watch me be proved hilariously wrong.

Anonymous said...

camel, Bourne Ultimatum was #20.

Anonymous said...

I say it will be a tie between TMNT and Transformers!

Paul C. said...

I'm thinking #1 is going to be THEY WILL BE BLOOD, the new PT Anderson.

Corey S. said...

Well I really hope it's "ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE". I mean come on?!

Anonymous said...

Well #1 must be P.T. Anderson's "There will be blood". I cannot imagine they left it of the list completely.

Anonymous said...

#1 = Hairspray. Nathanial wouldn't disregard a Pfeiffer flick, and he didn't include it on his few at the start that didn't make the list.

Joe R. said...

I agree with Joel re: the Rod Stewart song at the end of the Zodiac trailer. Great period detail that managed to be kind of spooky despite being quite mainstream. I thought it worked.

Glenn Dunks said...

ugh, so it was. And I looked through that list too! I must be blind or my brain is falling out. One of the two.

And, yeah, There Will Be Blood seems natural.

Unknown said...

Hey you have a very good blog.

If by any chance you need weight loss help check out by blog: Weight Loss Tips