Saturday, February 03, 2007

We Can't Wait #18 Spider-Man 3

Tobey Maguire works on some "business" they suggested in the Sundance workshop.
Come see his tiny indie film about a nerdy photographer with commitment probs

Treasured readers and friends, I didn't write a promo for Spider-Man 3 but... kinda self explanatory, right? I saw Spider-Man 2 twice on opening weekend. What am I, thirteen?

[tiny Fly voice] 'Help meeee'

JA: I'm curious if they'll be able to shoehorn any ejaculation-humor into the series in new, fresh and exciting ways.

Nathaniel: I doubt there's room for it. They've got to shoe-horn dozens of new characters in, don't they? Sandman, Hobgoblin (or is Green Goblin redux? I get confused), Venom, Gwen Stacy... I hope Sam Raimi is up to the task.

Joe: I’m not sure when exactly I lost my enthusiasm for the Spidey series. I mean, the second movie was very good, and I’m certainly eager to see the third installment, but the fervor isn’t there. I’m not sure what it is. Lord knows the trailer looks cool enough, what with the mirror-image black-clad Spidey. I am kind of glad that The Dunst is getting a run for her money, ingénue-wise. Though Bryce Dallas Howard is only batting .500 for me at the moment (thought she rose above bad material in The Village, thought she succumbed to it in Lady in the Water).

The box-office battle is almost as compelling as Spidey’s travails onscreen, at least for me. This movie gets two weeks before the third Shrek movie barrels on in and tries to muscle it out of the public’s hearts and minds. Needless to say, I’m pulling for the one in the sweet-ass black tights.

Lulu: I've only seen the previous Spidey movies under serious duress (it's that pernicious Dunst-disdain of mine). But -- truth be told -- I'm actually a little curious about this Spidey...perhaps it's the addiction-ish "darkness overtakes you" narrative/theme that I do love so.

Nathaniel: I love that crap too. It's so comic book but also so universal, truthfully. Notice how I'm just pretending that no one dissed my girl Kiki whilst an invitee in my home. I have the patience of a saint. I really do. Still, I'm hoping Raimi doesn't completely go Batman-esque in the duality, because you know, Batman does that well enough on his own. He's kind of got a patent on it. But I've absolutely loved the Spider-Man movies so far. Best comic book movies. Ever. Maybe I'll see this twice on opening weekend, too. You never know.

Spider-Man 3 opens on May 4th at small independent theaters in NY and LA for an Oscar qualifying run. If it manages to snag any nominations, it will arrive in your town next February! Enjoy.


previously on "we can't wait"
#19 Rendition
#20 The Bourne Ultimatum
Intro -films that didn't make the list

3 comments:

J.D. said...

for the thing on Bryce Dallas Howard: Wouldn't she be batting .333? +The Village; -Lady and the Water and Manderlay.

Wouldn't she?

Glenn Dunks said...

Only #18? I really wanna see this one. Spiderman 2 was pretty genius I reckon (and I wasn't that big of a fan of the original)

NATHANIEL R said...

trust me when i tell you that it was MUCH higher on my list. These damn "friends" of mine. Curses!