Friday, February 08, 2008

Beam Me Up, Oscar!


The new Oscar set makes me think of Star Trek's transporter. I know they're not allowed to advertise movies during the Oscar commercial breaks but wouldn't this be an ideal time for the Star Trek (2008) teaser with Winona Ryder, Zoe Saldana, Chris Pine and the rest of the Starfleet?


The Academy should just beam all the presenters right on to the stage. Especially if there's a strike. You don't have to cross a picket line that way. If there's a malfunction and we happen to lose presenters like, say, Tom Cruise or Jessica Alba or [insert your arch-enemy star here] well, these things happen... technology isn't perfect. [Simon Pegg (the new Scotty) will be right on it. He's a whiz with those dematerializing /reassembling mechanics]
*

17 comments:

Lily said...

I honestly like Next Generation better than the original.

Mmmmm captian picard. Troi rocked too. I always wanted to be half-betazoid. That episode where Data has a daughter makes me cry like no other.

< /geek>

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I love that they used Nicole Kidman in the sketch.

NATHANIEL R said...

right? that big red bow. such a camera hog.

Anonymous said...

any guesses who the guy's supposed to be?

-ryansumera

NATHANIEL R said...

I'm gonna say Hugh Jackman on account of the opportunity to have them both and hawk AUSTRALIA for next year's ceremony

E Dot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Next Generation was excellent. A little bit of a shaky start when it first aired, but then it surpassed the original.

Captain Picard made bald sexy.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I should say he brought back bald as being sexy. Yul Brynner actually made bald sexy.

Anonymous said...

that stage is crying out for a "There will be Blood" / "Michael Clayton" interpretive dance number choreographed by Debbie Allen!

Anonymous said...

Love that set design. Purty.

Calum Reed said...

It's better than most years, although they may as well have used the American Idol sets.

Lily said...

Allison:

My boyfriend got me into star trek. Now, however, he is very suspicious of why I always insist on watching it. He's rather upset that an (older--we be college kids) bald man from the future has found his way into my heart. I tell him that I'm his...at least until the 24th century.

NATHANIEL R said...

funny.

though i've never gotten into star trek in any incarnation. i was tortured with it as a kid since my whole family loved

Anonymous said...

actually, that stages' icy coolness will be just perfect for a swinton win.

-ryansumera

NATHANIEL R said...

Ryan, I love the way you think.

Brian said...

Best Oscar set I've seen since 2004. Glad it'll be able to be used to its fullest potential.

Marshall said...

The transporter room set in 'The Next Generation' is just the transporter room from the original series turned upside down. True story.