Monday, July 21, 2008

Josh & Kate @ the Beach

.

JA from MNPP here. While doing research for my post at MNPP this morning in honor of Josh Hartnett's 30th birthday today (research = looking at pretty pictures of a pretty man), I stumbled upon an entire series of promo shots of Mr. Hartnett and Kate Beckinsale for Michael Bay's homage-to-shiny-people-and-the-shiny-bombs-that-blow-them-up Pearl Harbor, and couldn't resist taking my opportunity while at the helm of TFE to dedicate a post to it. I mean... if there's one thing The Film Experience lacks, it's attention paid to Pearl Harbor, otherwise known as "The Thinking-Person's Titanic."

Wow, typing out that sentence made me throw up in my mouth a little.

In all honesty, there have been a few times that I've stumbled across PH on television and found myself drawn into its swirl of pretty commercial surfaces. I find it's more entertaining if you pretend it's really a love story between Hartnett and Ben Affleck. Also, you should be very, very drunk.

Time capsule: I would choose 2001 as the one of these to do, wouldn't I? Well, that happened. In entertainment, at the tail-end of the year Peter Jackson would introduce us to Middle Earth and Chris Columbus would take us inside Hogwarts for the first time. In music, Beyonce & Co. introduced the word "bootylicious" into the vernacular, while Christina Aguilera & Co. dressed like crazed Muppets who'd devoured a cosmetics counter in the "Lady Marmalade" video.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for having some sense and level-headedness regarding The Dark Knight. People need to calm the F down. It's a good, possibly even great, film, but that's that. Settle down, people. It's long, complicated (maybe overly so?), and not without flaws. Sigh. I hope this mania calms itself soon.

That said. 2001 = MR!, Mulholland Drive, Memento, Fellowship of the Ring, AI, In the Bedroom, Gosford Park, In the Mood For Love, Monster's Inc, Amelie, The Royal Tennenbaums, Shrek, No Man's Land, etc. etc. etc.

2001 > 1999 & 2007.

J.D. said...

2001 is perfect. Utterly perfect.

Except for, well, you know.

Neel Mehta said...

Christina Aguilera & Co. dressed like crazed Muppets who'd devoured a cosmetics counter in the "Lady Marmalade" video.

The word you are looking for is "whores."

While I'll always miss the pre-glam/surgery Kate Beckinsale, I remain surprised that the sleeker, less British version never cashed in on being the ONLY movie star brunette of a certain age.

Pick a franchise that needed a brunette, and she's better qualified than anyone else alive. If she wanted, she could have been Lois Lane, Rachel Dawes, even Wonder Woman.