Monday, July 14, 2008

Orphan Boy Finds New Home (Contest Winners)

< --- No, no, no. We're not sending pour little Mauro off to an orphanage. We're shipping him off to three TFE readers who've won The Year My Parents Went on Vacation on DVD. I asked all contestants what their favorite films about children or childhood were. The winners, drawn randomly, responded like so...

Samuel from NY
The 400 Blows or In America or if it can count (because it's about the paternal bond) - Chaplin's The Kid. If I had to choose one, it's The 400 Blows.
A classic. Good choice.

Agustin from Argentina
You Can Count On Me. It's not strictly about childhood, but it's nice that the only child in the movie is the most mature character. Laura and Mark are still acting like those kids they were when there parents were still alive.
What a surprising answer. But it's totally true and a lovely observation.

Jonathan from NY
I was debating between Paper Moon, Oliver! and Thirteen, but I think I have to go with the less acclaimed/polished Goonies...

The Goonies all grown up

because the 10 year old in me can't help but smile from start to finish whenever I watch it!
I haven't seen Goonies since it was in theaters (gulp) I've never really understood the appeal even if I was known to bop around to Cyndi Lauper's theme song "Good Enough". Nevertheless, it was a popular answer in these contest entries. Perhaps I should give it another spin?

<--- The Year My Parents Went on Vacation, which was Brazil's submission for the 2007 Oscars, debuts on DVD tomorrow. Check it out.

7 comments:

Chris Na Taraja said...

I love goonies, even though it's so bad and cheesy, and trying so hard to be the kid Indiana Jones troupe.

My favorite childhood film, that I didn't get a chance to add to the contest is the French film "Le Grande Chemin" Only in European films can you get away with a boy peeing off the roof of a church, and everyone thinks it's cute.

Chris Na Taraja said...

The older brother in that goonies reuinion shot is still doing it for me 25 years later!

Anonymous said...

Did you see this movie? So beautiful.

- cal roth

NATHANIEL R said...

do you mean Josh Brolin? He's doing it for everyone

Anonymous said...

Yes! I did mean Josh Brolin!! I think I knew I was gay wehn the camera panned up on this hunky stud all those years ago!

Glenn said...

I believe Cyndi's song is "Goonies R Good Enough", geez!

My answer was Paperhouse and Flight of the Navigator, bless 'em.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I just think Blogger is a good place to meet older or younger friends, isnt it? I'm Amber, wanna seek an older man for support, maybe to be my s d...I just uploaded my hot even PARTIALLY NAKED (LOL) photos at the famous younger/older community Agelessfriends.com under username AnAngel2000. Maybe you wanna check out. Let's chat if possible.