Friday, July 11, 2008

Now Playing: 4th Leftovers, Del Toro's Menagerie and Roman Polanski?

L I M I T E D
<---
August assembles an interesting cast, Josh Hartnett, David Bowie, Robin Tunney, Naomie Harris and Rip Torn to tell the story of a dot com entrepeneur (Hartnett) in crisis
Death Defying Acts -This Harry Houdini bio actually got made after all? I'd lost track. Guy Pearce & Catherine Zeta-Jones
Garden Party Elusive Vinessa Shaw and the O.C.'s Willa Holland headline this sexual LA ensemble piece
Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired I'm totally confused about this documentary. I liked it a lot. It showed on cable and now it's in theaters? Oh for wacky distribution.
The Stone Angel Ellen Burstyn remembers her past as a feisty young woman (played by Christine Horne). Based on the bestseller.


Roman Polanski Wanted and Desired & Death Defying Acts

W I D E
Hellboy II: The Golden Army Guillermo Del Toro brings his menagerie of comic book adapted beasties back. Will his recent Pan's Labyrinth breakthrough bring in a larger audience for the second round?
Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3-D! My BFF turned to me after this trailer played the other day and said "All the movie stars in our age range are starting to play Dads with teenage kids. We're old" Um, yeah, thanks for the reminder. Why don't you drop my popcorn and knock my drink into my lap now while you're at it.
Meet Dave Eddie Murphy has tiny aliens steering him. He's a spaceship. Har-dee-har-har.

L E F T - O V E R S
Hancock Will Smith, superpowered. That's all audiences needed to know over the holidays.
Holding Trevor -a gay romance starring multi-talented Jay Brannan (of Shortbus fame) and other cuties.
Kabluey -an indie comedy from Scott Prendergast. Co-starring Lisa Kudrow and Christine "Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!" Taylor
Diminished Capacity an actor friendly comedy featuring Alan Alda, Virginia Madsen, Lois Smith, Dylan Baker and Bobby Cannavale
The Wackness -the buzzy weed-loving indie comedy with an eclectic cast including Ben Kingsley, Famke Janssen, Olivia Thirlby, Method Man and Mary-Kate Olsen
Tell No One - A French thriller with fine cast: Francois Cluzet, Marie-Josee Croze, Francois Berléand and Kristin Scott Thomas (yay!)

Seeing anything this weekend? Seen any of these already? Tell everyone your plans. It's all about oversharing.
*

9 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

I saw Mamma Mia this evening. It's not a well-made movie, but it's entertaining and at least it's heart is in the right place.

Anonymous said...

Tell No One is fantastic...well done Guillaume Canet.

Anonymous said...

The Houdini movie - "Death Defying Acts" - wasn't it made the same year that both "The Illusionist" and "The Prestige" came out? It would have been one magician film too many.

The trailer looks great. I would love to see the director, Gillian Armstrong, join the tiny group of women directors nominated for an Oscar.

Anonymous said...

"Hellboy II" (the wife is a Del Toro fan, and I have not yet reached blockbuster-burnout. After "The Dark Knight, probably...)

And I would love to catch "Tell No One" if I can find a theater showing it.

J.D. said...

Josh Hartnett is very nice-looking.

NATHANIEL R said...

and you're just realizing this... now?

Glenn said...

Anon, it's not gonna happen with Death Defying Acts. No way.

J.D. said...

LOL, no. I've known it for a while. He's so nice to look at...

Anonymous said...

Not real novelties, but I finally saw The Happening and Indy IV.

I was really curious to see if The Happening was so bad. It is indeed, but in a funny way. You just can't take it seriously from the very first minute. As I was watching it I kept thinking this bad can only be made on purpose. So, I watched the whole movie with that in mind and let myself go into its inverisimilitude (at first I thought Mark Whalberg and the girl played father and daughter). Later on I have read it was meant to be a tribute to B series old movies. Sure it was, but without any the charms of old movies. I wonder if someone told Mark Whalberg.

I really enjoyed Indy IV as if I were a kid. It's not like those from the 80s, it could never be. And even if it was, our eyes aren't the same. But I really think it was pure fun, sometimes almost at the self-caricature level -I think Cate Blanchett's performance was on the verge of caricature- but fun as in old times. It's true that waiting almost 20 years for the supposedly right script it's like you're kidding, right? This can't be the best possible script in 20 years. But all in all, I think it is a good movie that if made a couple of years after The Last Crusade would have been better received.
I just hope that if they continue the series with Shia Lebouf, they'll do it in a completely different way.

Iggy