Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Joy of Imaginary Oscar Ballot Filling. My Vote For "Best of the Year"

I'm just a broken down piece of meat
Today, post-inauguration, I was suffering from a wicked hangover (I blame Katey) so I felt as old as "Randy the Ram". But you always have to get back into the ring. Especially if you're a one trick pony and it's all you know how to do. I had to get back in my ring (movie awardage). I've been doing it so long I think I'd feel empty without it.


The Oscar nominations are announced tomorrow and, as is this site's tradition, that means all the nominees for the traditional categories in my own prizes, the Film Bitch Awards, had to be announced today. (If you're a new reader, check out last year's)

I never know quite how they're going to turn out while I'm doing them. I didn't really expect WALL•E to lead but it has. It has 9 nominations in total. Rachel Getting Married and The Wrestler are tied for the runner up spot with 7 nominations each. Oscar's presumed nomination leaders The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire only ended up with 4 between them (oops) which is lower than I assumed it would be though Milk and The Dark Knight (two other AMPAS hot topics) did well with 6 nominations each. That number will sound low to Oscar watchers but double digit tallies are rarer here since I like to give credit where it's due... which is usually all over the place.

This was difficult to wrap up since Costume Design and Cinematography were the last to be posted and I love both crafts dearly. Would I end up honoring Cate Blanchett's red dress in Button or Poppy's huge boots in Happy-Go-Lucky or maybe Carrie Bradshaw's giant flower ensembles from Sex & the City? None of the above as it turned out which surprised me. But I couldn't go without Julianne Moore's carnal and brutal wardrobe in Savage Grace (that bloody dress -gah!) And, even though I didn't love Australia (my review) I found ways to still appreciate. There's so many talented people working in the movies so here's to: Pin Bing Lee, Chris Menges, Maryse Alberti, Michael O' Connor, Danny Glicker and the other newly announced FB nominees.

Enjoy! (Medalists will be announced in February)

Page 1: Best Picture, Director and Screenplays
Page 2: Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress
Page 3: Visual Technical Categories
Page 4: Aural Technical Categories (and the nomination tallies)

*
*

19 comments:

Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love every aprreciation for Pfister's work on "The Dark Knight". It's mostly him and Ledger who made the movie this good.
And these nine noms for WALL.E are simply terrific.

par3182 said...

i hope the academy is as generous to the brilliant wall-e

MichaelMcl said...

I'll give you a prize for mentioning FLIGHT OF THE RED BALLOON under Cinematography. You have to wonder after seeing that film who was really responsible for the visual break between Wong Kar Wai's HAPPY TOGETHER and IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE.

FLIGHT would be among my top 5 for the year too.

-The Opinionated Australian

Glenn said...

Aah, such a great set of nominees (although I haven't seen half of them). I think The Dark Knight deserves a cinematography citation purely for creating so many images that have become iconic.

I'd love Eiko Ishioka to make more movies (whether they be mainstream like Bram Stoker's Dracula or The Cell or they be arthouse fare like The Fall) and if she gets a surprise Oscar nom tomorrow I'd be so happy (even though The Fall will never be released here, aw).

I love how, in terms of Oscar, it is Best Actress and Best Costume Design are the two categories that could throw giant spanners into the work. I could actually see all sorts of crazy scenarios happening in each.

rosengje said...

Does anyone know what time the nominees are announced? I'm guessing 8am on the east coast but I would rather not wake up too early...

Anonymous said...

The Dark Knight for Best Cinematography?? Really??? I thought the film was strongly lacking in any “visual storytelling”. I love that you always look to spread the awards out and differ from the usual Oscar favorites, so this rather formula pick seems a bit surprising and uninspiring coming from you (especially since you were not one of the diehards for the film anyway).

Anonymous said...

for the directing, picture and acting choices ( the ones I am mostly interested in ), your choices are good, although I do not think you are going to see a lot of them their tomorrow morning...

NATHANIEL R said...

Terry... well sometimes the expected choice is the right one ;)

I watched the film again and was far more impressed with the cinematography on a second viewing.

Anonymous said...

Can someone PLEASE explain the tech work of THE FALL in terms of Cinematography vs. Visual Effects vs. Art Direction?

I'm sooooooo confused?

NATHANIEL R said...

rosengje... i think it's 5:30 AM PST?

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how the lensing in the Reader is better than RR, but that's me.

The Pretentious Know it All said...

FYC, Nathaniel, though I don't think it's necessary.

Best musical moment in a non-musical film. (I believe that's one of your extra categories, unless I'm mistaken)

Sidney sings "Unknown Legend" to Rachel in "Rachel Getting Married." I've seen the movie four times and I teared up every time during that scene. It's one of the most affecting, emotional moments in any film I've seen this year (and honestly emotional, not cheaply sentimental).

This is all to say that I think Rosemarie Dewitt will get nominated tomorrow against all odds and it will be a great moment. They can stick her next to Sally Kirkland at the ceremony, who will no doubt be drunk and "need wrangling."

J.D. said...

Those Costume GIFs are incredible.

gabrieloak said...

I haven't been able to see The Class or Reprise yet. But the only other film on your BP list that I would possibly include is The Wrestler.
Rachel Getting Married and Wall-E both had narrative problems IMO so I wouldn't put them on a BP list.

Katey said...

Woo hoo, inaugural hangovers!

RahulB said...

I think you could've made room for Wall-E in Costume Design. That space suit (now in blue!) is TO DIE FOR. :)

I love that movie so much.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, THE FALL!!!

I still miss Meryl Streep.

Anonymous said...

Nat, when are you going to post the extra nominations? I can't wait for BEST CAMEO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrg who will win this award? Debra Winger?