Sunday, January 25, 2009

SAG Live Blogging (Part 1)

7:03 or thereabouts. The first star I see is The Lovely Laura Linney so I know this night is going to be special. [and by special I mean bearable]


Her dimpled cheeks are so wholesome they're hypnotic. The mere mortal she speaks with probably doesn't feel condescended to at all when Laura drops the name of her friends.

What is TLLL looking forward to?
I'm thrilled to be able to grab Kate Winslet for a second, grab my friends, say 'hi'
If you were close enough to grab KATE WINSLET, would "hi" be your first choice of words? Something less intelligible would spill out, I suspect.

7:15 Melissa Leo looks super happy and the dress is great. But I'm already worried for Princess Anne (Hathaway), who, didn't look so cheery when the camera caught her. She walked with head down. Did that Golden Globe Kate fest crush her Oscar dream?

Maybe "hi" wouldn't be the first thing she said to Kate Winslet, either.

7:18 Evan Rachel Wood is really proud of her shoes. If I were a drag queen I totally would be too. I was Once a major ERW cheerleader and I hope to be so Again. Did you catch that wordplay. yuk yuk. I'm on fire tonight. (special = bearable! remember it. It'll help you get through, too)


7:32
My favorite moment of the night has already occured. It shan't be beat, I swear it. The E! girl (I can't be bothered remembering her name Guilisomething?) is trying to "connect" to Angelina Jolie who has deigned to descend from the heavens to speak with her. So she's nervous and so she's going on and on about how amazing Brad Pitt is and she says to Angelina, and I quote:
There's nothing sexier or more heartwarming than seeing a man who is good with children. Would you agree about that?
Angelina -- and this wouldn't even be worth capturing in a screen shot it's so tiny and perfect -- says... nothing. She merely almost imperceptibly nods and lets out a little hum/sigh.

Perhaps she's wondering why the reporter hasn't yet spontaneously combusted.

7:50 Every actor who ever plays gay needs to take lessons from James Franco about how to handle the inane media questions about it. The reporter is trying to ask him which is harder, pretending to be high onscreen (Pineapple Express) or to pretend to be in love with Sean Penn (Milk). Franco's reply...
I... I don't know. In life I am in love with Sean and I don't smoke weed.
I love it. Franco is like this year's James Marsden right? He was once kinda not really ascending as a star and then, in one year, he just proved there was so much more charisma and A list within him. I love him. Love him with me in the comments. Free Love!

8:05 They just finished that "I am an actor" part. It wasn't as good as that time (last year?) when Jane Krakowski said "I'm Johnny Depp and I am an actor". But then few things are as good as the time when Jane Krakowski did them.

8:06 Tina Fey won "Only Actress in a TV Comedy". There's only her right? She's the only thing I remember about 2008. She even ran for public office. Her co-star Alec Baldwin won the corresponding award for people with penises.


8:09 Dev Patel and Frieda Pinto are trotted out to introduce Slumdog Millionaire. They didn't waste any time. Dev & Frieda both look really cute and the crowd loves them and I'll be TOTALLY nice to them tonight.

unless they win
*
8:21 There's a montage now. I'm glad I'm recording it because I need to watch it again to understand properly. It's called "trailblazers" which seems to be another word for famous people in famous movies. And that's not what I thought that word meant so I need to be schooled.

8:26 The Boyfriend says "we're half an hour into the show and only 30 Rock has won anything" Unfortunately Jane Krakowski spoils my 8:05 compliment above with a bad joke. Yeah, the Ally McBeal cast was emaciated. We remember. I don't think Sally Field at the Brothers & Sisters table thought that was funny. Neither did I.

<--- 8: 28 Marisa Tomei jostled by someone's mink.

Hey, it doesn't happen every day.

8:30 BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS is... Kate Winslet in The Reader. I'm not including a picture because Marisa Tomei's fur collision was more interesting.

Ponder that for a moment.

I love Kate Winslet so much. How did I ever become so jaded that I wouldn't enjoy seeing her win awards? Is it her dully sincere speeches or the inevitability of awards season?

8:53 House won Best Actor. Sally Field won Best Actress for Brothers and Sisters but the most important thing that happened in the past 15 minutes is that the camera went to Michelle Pfeiffer.

I imagine cameras are drawn there like moths to a flame. That's my cliche of choice. I couldn't think of a funny.

I'm spent (special!)

Sometimes I hate David E Kelley from stealing her away from her career to such an extent but then I remember that without him we'd probably never see her at these events and she's always there as the dutiful wife. Now if only he would make good television again instead of [shudder] Boston Legal. I hope she made him sleep on the couch on Monday nights.

8:55 Mad Men wins Best Ensemble for TV. Damn straight. Now if only the SAG voters will choose as well with the cinema. The correct answer is Milk people. Don't let me down at 10:00 PM

9:00 end of part one. here's part two.


38 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm here applauding James Franco. Classy guy.

Anonymous said...

Fine. I love James Franco.

I'm Shawn and I'm NOT an actor.

Anonymous said...

Dev Patel needs glasses?

Also WHY WHY WHY show that clip from Slumdog MIllionaire?! UGH.

Anonymous said...

I love James Franco. I hope Sean Penn loves James Franco as well and will give him a big kiss if he wins.
I don't love Dev Patel.

rosengje said...

You would think after Brangelina very obviously snubbed Ryan Seacrest at the Golden Globes that the E! crew would be a bit more conscious of not inundating them with horrendously awkward and embarrassing questions. Alas, it is not to be. If they even pretended to ask the occasional question about their films don't you think the big stars would be more inclined to engage in these ridiculous interviews?

Anonymous said...

I was expecting Dev Patel to have to read something about his own acting and then for him to gradually realize he was complimenting himself. I really don't think the actors should introduce their own films.

kmeck said...

that dress rocks, Jane. Did she say she was an ACTOR?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Tootsie was grouped with Frankenstein and an Ape in the montage. Oh Screen Actor's guild, you're so cheeky.

Anonymous said...

1 of 2 for Winslet.

Awesome. I smell another one tonight.

Anonymous said...

Nah, it'll be Meryl.

Anonymous said...

I love Kate but her speech was like "thank you, it was great playing Hanna, but I don't really give a shit about this one". I think she gets used to winning.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, it seemed like Kate was making a definite effort to be composed. I don't think she was quite, "Eh, fuck this one."

alex said...

I agree. I think Kate was trying really hard to avoid the raw emotion of the Globes.

Anonymous said...

Hey there are no more updates?

Please tell me, supp actress was the only movie-related award presented?

Yinka said...

I thought Kate Winslet looked AMAZING! as always, and i thought Rachel Evan Wood scubbed up quite well!! Lol, totally agree with you about 'Guiliana', she went all deep and personal when talkin 2 Angelina, made me cringe! did you notice though that Brad wasn't havin' any of it!

Anonymous said...

Anyone who thinks Kate Winslet is anything but humble & completely appreciative of anything she wins clearly doesn't know Kate Winslet at all.

Anonymous said...

I will never get sick of Kate Winslet winning. For anything.

Go Kate!

Catherine said...

"Marisa Tomei's fur collision..."

THE MENTAL IMAGE I JUST GOT.

Anonymous said...

Excellent pick for an ensemble scene from "Milk". I do think it's going to win.

Anonymous said...

This is slightly off-topic, but I'm so disheartened that Jon Hamm is always the bridesmaid at these things. Here's hoping they get the ensemble award.

Murtada said...

love Kate and she should win everything.....but she's not good at speeches, is she? "everyone deserves a medal" what was that about?

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope Milk wins best ensemble. And Jon Hamm completely stole Tina Fey's line from a year ago: "dozens of viewers". Still love the show though.

Anonymous said...

Troy, have you met Kate Winslet?

Calum Reed said...

How amazing does Holly Hunter look tonight? My god. I'd consider it...

Calum Reed said...

The Ally MacBeal cast is legendary.

Peter Chan said...

The only thing I got out of the first hour is that my Elisabeth Moss is dating Fred Armisen!?!! As Gob Bluth would say... C'MON!

Anonymous said...

I love Evan Rachel Wood and she looks as hot as ever tonight. And her shoes ARE nice ;-D

Anonymous said...

guess the guild didn't mind the 'category fraud' that you continually whine about.

Anonymous said...

PFEIFFER looks AMAZING!

Deborah said...

What was worth filming was when I screamed because Mad Men won and my cat shot STRAIGHT UP into the air.

Still laughing, here.

Dianna said...

James.......Franco........(sigh!)

NATHANIEL R said...

anon 9:19 The Guild doesn't have a choice. It's in their bylaws that they obey the campaigns set by the studios.

Sally Belle said...

Nathanial, I do love you, but wtf is your problem being so mean to Evan Rachel Wood? The girl is 21, and she looked like a young film ingenue should look. She was also beautiful at the Globes. You used a shit picture, but it won't work..she rocked the dress anyway, and is learning to carry herself quite well for such a young un.

I thought Winslet looked amazing! The best of the night. Meryl was a trip, loved Sarandon's flat sandals, love Sally Field no matter what she says...and I hate the lameness of the red carpet questions. I think I really miss Joan!

The awards themselves....well....yawn, right?

gabrieloak said...

Meryl is an experienced stage actress so of course she knows how to give speeches. She's a pro. I hope she doesn't get an Oscar because people want her to give a good speech.

Poor Kate. First she's too emotional at the Globes, now she's too serious at SAG. She can't please anyone but does anyone remember she used to lose in the past at these ceremonies?

I hope she gets a chance to accept an Oscar and finally wow everyone.

Anonymous said...

And Franco is doing it (playing a gay character) again, if you believe the rumours. I'm really looking forward to "Howl". Though I felt at first that Franco was too good looking to play Ginsberg I think he can do it. It helps that it's set during clean cut college guy era Ginsberg and not middle aged, paunchy, freaked-out-farmer era Ginsberg.

Anonymous said...

Of course the red carpet questions are inane, but you're an actor - it's your job - get used to it and be happy somebody wants to talk to your snobby butt (Angelina, I'm talking to you). Big ups for my girl heroes Tina and Kate - yeah, we're on a first name basis now. And congrats to Mad Men & Slumdog! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

My heart stopped for 5 seconds when Pfeiffer was on the screen.

Marcelo - Brazil.

Anonymous said...

I always love your live-blogging Nathaniel. Between you and Nick Davis its just gold everytime with them.

Also, can I just say the whole SLUMDOG think is getting plain gross now… Best Ensemble Cast?!?

MILK (and the un-nominated RACHEL GETTING MARRIED) were both fucking robbed.

I’ll take solace in Penn’s first SAG win. (God, I hope he wins the Oscar too.)

Plus, how could Streep’s speech not put a smile on one’s face. The woman truly is a Goddess. (Particularly loved her shout-out to Rudin who DOES go out of his way to find interesting/female/gay oriented projects.