Saturday, January 10, 2009

Red Carpet Lineup (Awards Show Edition)

It's that time of year. You're probably back at the gym trying to lose the holiday weight gain but the movie stars just get their cardio on red carpets for the next six weeks. So herewith, some gowns from the BFCA show and the People's Choice --and yes it's the last time I'll be mentioning "People's Choice". [sigh] People... they're always making the wrong ones!

images by way of @ JAMD

Anne Hathaway, who is a smart smart girl, was the princess of the ball in white -- she even referenced her Princess Diaries days in her speech. Don't think she doesn't know how much Oscar loves the princesses. Queen Latifah is always fun and Kate Hudson is always (no comment) but I include them to show that the color palette of the People's Choice Awards is very loud as if these mythical united People continually need to see bright colors to stay interested. Ooh, look...Shiny! Meanwhile, the critics and media types at the BFCA are treated to a solemn area of creams, whites, greys and blacks. Coincidence? I think not. Consider Dakota Fanning's color coding...


But back to the line-up.

Diane Lane is hot. I normally think it's silly how people imagine that actors can't handle seeing their husbands and wives kiss other people onscreen. It's such a "well, duh" part of their job who could be offended / jealous over it? It's like marrying a vampire and complaining about the bloodlust. But with Diane Lane and Josh Brolin, I always find myself wondering. When your spouse is married to someone else in the public consciousness (Diane has been romantically entangled with Richard Gere three times onscreen and she presents him with awards and they're always kissy kissy) might that be a little weird?

<-- Bassett in 1995, during her short but great movie peak.

Another weird thing: Angela Bassett's career. I know she's 50 and only actresses named Meryl Streep are allowed regular leading movie roles past that age. But should she really have to settle for running on ER's exhaust fumes? It makes me so crazy. Finally... Angelina Jolie is a goddess. And knows it. Hey, wait a second, why is Anne Hathaway here twice? Answer: She was smart enough to wear a two sided dress. Therefore you must see her from several angles to fully appreciate. Several angles means more air time and more magazine photos. Savvy girl, that one.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angelina is such a godess,she was a vision that day,beautiful.
Anne Hathaway also looked beautiful loved her dress too.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for "Wendy and Lucy"'s B+ ;) I was impressed when I first saw it, and it kept improving even without multiple viewings.
I had no idea that such a little thing could be so moving.
I'd love to see Williams mentioned in your awards - at least as "Body of Work" with her roles in "Deception" and "Synecdoche, New York"; I'm kind of sad that nobody pushed her performance like they did it with Melissa Leo, especially as I don't think I need Kate Winslet's April Wheeler (very good, and I'm in love with her, but it's not special) getting awards.
Howler

Anonymous said...

Is Hudson trying to kill Latifah by stepping on her dress? LOL At least, Lane didn't notice her heel on Jolie's...

Anonymous said...

angie bassett i always thought she'd get violas role she woulda rocked the movie to the core!!!.

Anonymous said...

Yikes....Diane Lane is walking on our grecian goddesses flowing ensemble.

feh - kate hudson. when will she go away.

NATHANIEL R said...

I think Diane thinks Josh Brolin can take Angie.

But me... I'm not so sure.

Anonymous said...

Admit it, Nathaniel, you put Anne in there the second time so Angelina could glare at her some more. If you make your next post just the right length, poor Anne will get a double dose: one from the left and one from the right sidebar.

Meanwhile, poor Dakota Fanning: what did she do to deserve The Glare?

Anonymous said...

when are you going to do the golden globes prediction, Nathaniel?

Mikadzuki said...

Nice picture! But five seconds from there I can imagine there will be a heck of a lot of wardrobe malfunctions.

Cluster Funk said...

Diane Lane is always so pretty, such a class act. When will she star as Natalie Wood in a biopic? This needs to happen before it's too late.

P.S. Angela Bassett [sigh]

Hayden said...

I loved seeing Diane Lane, but someone needs to teach her how to read a telepromter. She looked fabulous while sounding like a complete robot.

Anonymous said...

I know it's probably too late but please don't put Ledger in supporting category. It does not belong there.
Ask Nick ;)

Anonymous said...

All I was thinking when Richard Gere was all touchy-feely with Diane Lane on stage, calling her a "babe", and wanting to "do three more films with her" was, "Do you know the guy that she's married to? He'll use her for a punching bag in a second if she gets out of line and is too friendly with another man". I'm terrible.

Marshall said...

Sadly, I don't think the Lane/Brolin marriage is going to be able to survive their change in status. I'm not saying she's Norman Maine but I think that also really changes the dynamic. Also he's sort of turning into an asshole. I love him though, and them together, and hope I'm wrong.

Anonymous said...

You should try to compare this years movies with last years movies and decide which year was better. I think it'd be very interesting.

Sally Belle said...

Angie can't hold a candle to Diane Lane!

Actually, Angie needs to get over herself.

Loved Lane, loved Viola Davis' command of the audience, loved Kate Beckinsale, and was very happy to see Evan rachel wood un-gothed and looking so Kidmanish!