Friday, January 15, 2010

BFCA Predictions.

I'll start live-blogging in one hour. But I'm guessing it's going to be an Avatar-friendly night with occasionally confusing spread-the-wealthisms. Are you waiting impatiently by the TV or did you forget it was on? Let's publish my bound-to-be-terribly-wrong guesswork. I've never claimed to be good at predicting precursor prizes. Especially precursor prizes that are themselves attempting to predict future Oscar prizes in this confusing year.

<--- One thing is certain: Kevin Bacon will be honored and Kristin Chenoweth will host.

My predictions
Pic: James Cameron's Avatar and Dir: Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker... because I don't think they'll be able to resist the press angle of proposing to that divorced duo. On the other hand they could still honor both of them by giving Action Film Avatar... so maybe they'll go with Up in the Air... or Basterds for Best Picture? Otherwise, let's say Actress: Meryl Streep (or will they stiff her because she didn't show last year and coronate Sandra Bullock for the press attention?) Actor: Jeff Bridges Supporting Actress: Monique (although they may always want to shock here because some members of the BFCA aren't exactly sweet on her) Supp Actor: Woody Harrelson Ensemble & Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds Adapted Screenplay: Up in the Air Cinematography Avatar Art Direction
Avatar Editing The Hurt Locker Costume Design: Inglourious Basterds Makeup: District 9 (Perhaps Avatar will sweep but for the life of me I can't figure out how it even got a nomination in this category. These are computer animated figures. They aren't actually wearing blue makeup with glittery freckles, you know? I promise to repeat myself and bitch about this if it somehow wins this category) Visual Effects Avatar Sound: Avatar Animated Feature: Up Comedy: (500) Days of Summer Television Movie Grey Gardens Foreign Language Film Sin Nombre (god, actually I have no idea) Documentary The Cove Song: The Weary Kind Score: Up

7 comments:

adam k. said...

I don't understand why Up keeps getting nominated and/or predicted to win for best score. Sure, that one theme was cute and moving, but really?? I just don't get it. I think Star Trek was better Giacchino should get nominated for that.

Actually, I was not bowled over by any scores I heard this year. I wonder what'll win.

Very interested to see what this group goes for in general. An Avatar sweep seems too easy... but it'll probably happen.

Nate Tyson said...

But what about the sweet claw scar across CC Pounder's head?

NATHANIEL R said...

Oh yeah, that.

that ONE makeup effect. ;)

unless you count Private Vasquez's blue war paint while driving her incredibly flying machine into war.

and why would you?

Nate Tyson said...

She looked awful pretty.

Anonymous said...

which Tv channel or where is it broadcast online?

NATHANIEL R said...

VH-1 starts at 8:30 PM EST

OtherRobert said...

Avatar is like meta-make-up. The characters are animated, so they aren't really wearing make-up, but then the characters in the film put on awesome war paint that leaves me not at all upset if the film gets the make-up Oscar nomination.