Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Curio: 10 Cents for Carole


Alexa here from Pop Elegantiarum again. So yesterday was Carole Lombard's birthday. I usually mark the occasion by quoting my favorite lines from My Man Godfrey at every opportunity. ("Life is but an empty bubble.") Today I thought I'd share this old magazine of mine, which purports to tell Carole's life story. It doesn't really; it's mostly worth it for its sumptuous cover image of the goddess. I also love the back cover, an oddly patriotic image of Carole appearing to trod upon her hubby Clark Gable. For those of you unfamiliar with her fabulousness, do yourself a favor and add My Man Godfrey, Mr. & Mrs. Smith (not the one with Brangelina!), or To Be or Not to Be to your queue directly. You'll thank me later.

3 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

i love that she's walking over Gable. graphic design throughout the years. ahhh.

It's a pity people don't talk more about her because she's so glorious onscreen.

and also: love the price tag on ancient things.

Chase Kahn said...

Her death was quite the tragedy - 'My Man Godfrey' is brilliant.

VP81955 said...

If you like Lombard, you'll love my community dedicated to her, "Carole & Co." We've been up since mid-June 2007, and as of this writing we have more than 1,000 entries, scores of rare images and 140 members.

We examine Lombard's life and times, people she knew and worked with, and all things related to classic Hollywood. Please check us out at

http://community.livejournal.com/carole_and_co