Saturday, July 15, 2006

First Half Oscar Hopefuls (Part 1)

Last week I prologued the halfway mark Oscar discussion with a look at Gretchen Mol as Bettie Page. So now, we begin looking at the first two of the five most-likely-to-succeed Oscar hopefuls from January to June.

#5 is a scholarly look at the near future, suggesting that Hurricane Katrina is only a warm up for mother nature.
#4 is responsible for all those dreamy (some would say sleepy) images of the man of steel floating miles above the earth

Read the Article. Return and Discuss. Do you think these achievements will be called out next January on Oscar Nomination Morning?

tags: Superman Returns, An Inconvenient Truth, movies, Oscars, awards, global warming, Academy Awards

10 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

I, personally, didn't think Superman Returns was all that great (it was confused with itself I think) but many of the effects were really swell, but is swell enough? Sure, Brandon Routh floating in space is pretty to look at, but some of those flying shots looked ridiculous (as do, basically, any flying done by Superman).

If Superman were to get a nod in Visual Effects I wouldn't care because they were impressive for the most part, but I don't care either way. Although it would be a hoot to see them campaign Parker Posey for Best Supporting Actress!

An Inconvenient Truth would pass the rules it would seem (Grizzly Man was 100% stock footage, hence it's ineligability) and wouldn't it be great to see Al Gore get up there to accept and Oscar?! But, yeah, the doco category is very strange. I wasn't even an Oscar-watcher at the time, and it still physically hurts me knowing Hoop Dreams wasn't even nominated let alone win. *evil face* grrr. Idiots.

Kris said...

I get why you're doing it, but this slow-as-molasses roll-out you're specializing in lately is a bit...much. Just my opinion.

Glenn Dunks said...

lol, some people actually have stuff to do outside of their blogs. That's just my opinion

:P

Glenn Dunks said...

okay, that sounded much harsher than I meant it to. But the :P makes up for it, right?

Javier Aldabalde said...

I heart Glenn.

Geez...

Kris said...

Maybe my comment came off much harsher than I meant for it to as well. Natty does this to keep the interest up, though. He's got the material ready, he's just a tease with it. ;)

Believe me, I know there are peripheral things to life on the net. Sometimes I feel like I'll collapse from the freelance work, day jobs, getting to my scripts, attending the screenings, lining up the interviews and, at the end of the day, having time for the net.

NATHANIEL R said...

um no.

i publish as I go. time is precious.

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » »

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »