Monday, July 03, 2006

Missy Make Me Lose Control

Music Video Week
I haven't fallen in love with any new summer hit yet this year (though I'll definitely take i-Tunes suggestions in the comments) but for maximum summertime bootyshaking fun, my first choice is always Missy Elliott. This video "Lose Control" is directed by Dave Meyer. It was nominated for an MTV award for best special effects but when Missy is involved she's always the most special effect, visual, aural, otherwise.

I love the shot of her rising from the earth, shaking the dust off her before she 'loses control' what with that composite heavy booty bouncin', tail droppin and head knockin. It reminds me of another great Missy video entrance when she rises up on a giant M in the ocean for "She's a Bitch." When your film is only four minutes long, every second counts. You best know how to make an entrance. She does.

You can watch the fuzzy YouTube clip right here...

or click over to radium.com for a much more pleasurable crystal clear version. Hot!

previous Missy-related posts: "She's a Bitch @ The Movies" March 06 * iPod Lyric of the Moment Nov 05 * Missy! Missy! Missy! July 05 *

10 comments:

OhMyTrill said...

My personal fav is Hips Don't Lie, but I'm not sure if that counts as a sumemr song? Probably not.

DL said...

I'm still not over SOS by Rihanna and Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield!:O

I'm lame.

Joe R. said...

My sister and I were discussing this earlier this week -- "Promiscuous" by Nelly Furtado is THE summer song, like "Hollaback Girl" last year (even though mine was "Feel Good, Inc.") and "Crazy in Love" back in '03.

There's also "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley if you're not in the modd to feel bad about yourself for liking the Nelly Furtado song. "Hips Don't Lie" is another good one.

Glenn Dunks said...

I had to review "Hips Don't Lie" for my work (I write music reviews for a street press) and I ripped it up. I hate that song. I loved "Don't Bother" but "Hips Don't Lie" is pathetic.

Nat, I'd suggest getting your hands on the limited edition of the new Pet Shop Boys album. It's brilliant, and their best work since the '80s. "I'm With Stupid" is already a classic and "Flamboyant" is genius.

Neel Mehta said...

Props to Missy Elliott for being the only artist who tries to make good videos anymore.

And Ciara looks terrific in that grainy film stock.

Glenn Dunks said...

"Lose Control" is definitely a great video, and a great song too. How come Missy Elliot understands dance music better than actual dance artists?

Anonymous said...

With Kamikaze on the PSB album; "Integral" being my fave track.

iTunes suggestion: Dangerous Muse "The Rejection". Just dance.

Rob

Ramification said...

The Lu Cont remix of Lose Control is absolutely fantastic. Try and check out World Hold On by Bob Sinclar, if that doesn't put you in a good summery vibe I can't imagine anything else can!

Glenn Dunks said...

Ew, "World Hold On" is such a waste. Might as well put "Love Generation" on repeat, they're essentially the same song.

Anon, "Integral" is definitely one of my faves from that album.

Jason Adams said...

It's weird that you bring this up, Nate, the boyyfriend and I were just discussing (well, I was, and he listened silently) what the Summer Song was for this year... I mean, what do I know, I don't listen to the radio EVER, but I'd def. choose "Crazy" by Gnarls B., awesome song, though "Promiscuous" has got the Summer Song thing own pat - played everywhere, can't escape it, and it's not very good at all, so maybe Nelly's got it.