Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Incredibly Random Star-F**king Goodness


Queerty loves The Devil Wears Prada. Re: it's box office, I love that I called that this would be a big hit and no one believed me. One reader actually told me privately 'you're crazy. Only gay men will want to see that' and I also staunchly defended its unusual trailer (just one scene) which some people hated but which totally did the trick: i.e. introduced the characters. Made you want more...
Oh No They Didn't on Keira Knightley's skeleton.
Just Jared w/ photos of God and her family. So many redheads! I'm glad she's multiplying and replenishing the earth, good talented genes and all... but I hope she starts making good movies again.
Female First on the "top gays" Sir Ian rules. Oh, and that pic above is of Gandalf marching in London pride with a guy who is rumored to be his new boyfriend (the guy to the left in the Blondie t-shirt) --if you haven't yet voted on the fav actor right now poll Ian is one of your contestants.

and just because it's the Fourth doesn't mean we can't be critical...
Cinematical on South Korea's quota drop for Hollywood films. My opinion? A very bad move on South Korea's part. The countries that survive, cinematically speaking, put quotas on these things and their citizenry is thus coaxed to see their own good stuff and Off-Hollywood cinema survives ...as it should. Cinematical also has an intriguing post on the 'anti-american accusational brouhaha over Superman Returns. I totally agree with their take.

And why am I showing this picture of Matthew Barney and Chlöe Sevigny chatting it up? Well, like the Ian pic and Keira link above it's from Oh No They Didn't. The photo is labelled something like 'the talented Chlöe Sevigny'. You know that I worship celebrities as much as the next person and enjoy the gossip blogs but crap like this bugs. When one of the most important celebrated artists in the world (and Mr. Björk to boot) is standing next to a talented indie actress, shouldn't he at least get a mention? I mean think about it. He's far more important to the art world than Sevigny is to the gossip / celebrity world. Grrrr. It's like seeing a photo of Nicole Kidman with Barack Obama on a political blog and the blog just saying "the wonderful Barack Obama" ... and ignoring that one of the world's most important movie stars happens to be standing right next to him. Ah well. At least it didn't read "...and unidentified friend."

Matthew is on my brain at any rate because my friend Astroboy (who wrote those last couple of horoscopes for y'all. This is him to the left, his beau in the middle, and yours truly to the right) just went with The Boyfriend (mine. pay attention) to this exhibit "Into Me, Out of Me" at PS 1 this past Sunday and who was actually there to see the same exhibit? Matthew Barney, Björk, and their daughter Isabella. Astroboy, who feels about Björk the way I feel about La Pfeiffer, was entirely beside himself and has not uttered a word about anything else for the past 48 hours. If my one and only with Michelle Pfeiffer in the flesh is any indication... he'll be talking about this day for years to come.

At one point The Boyfriend was standing next to Barney and Astroboy was standing right next to Björk as they all stared at the same exhibit. Oblivious to the art and the starfucking fandom, wee Isabella played with her necklace on the museum floor. My favorite part of the story is that at one point they saw Matthew Barney holding his daughter and pointing at his own installation in the show (which features him dangling in a harness --buck naked of course --it's Barney) and explaining it to her.

I love Matthew Barney & Björk. Loved them separately. Love them together. I obsess on Cremaster and even made it through Drawing Restraint 9 (pictured right) which completely terrorized my fragile psyche. So why did I stay home instead of seeing this exhibit with them? Bad decision on that particular Sunday afternoon, I'll tell you that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Er... any other UK readers do a double take when they saw Antony Cotton standing next to (let alone dating) Ian McKellen???

Bizarre.

Rob

NATHANIEL R said...

oh. so I should I know who this is? uhoh. I'm bitching about another site not recognizing someone famous and here I am...

pot meet kettle.

i don't know if this is true or not (i said "rumored") but that's what ONTD said --also speculatively.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should know, no. He was in the original UK Queer As Folk and now has a role in Coronation Street - the highest rated soap in the UK.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183067/maindetails

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183067/awards

The pot and kettle are still very dissimilar; fear not! (P.S. Is anybody's pot or kettle black? I never got that...)

Rob

Glenn Dunks said...

I never understood it because pots and kettles can't talk, so ya know...

adam k. said...

Nathaniel, you need to start going to all these great NY events, instead of missing out. At least I was there to relieve you of your Rufus-induced ambivalence. But who was there to make you go accidentally run into Bjork at MoMA?

I wish I'd been able to see that... though I did get the chance to see that time/layer film exhibit you recommended. I already forgot the actual name of the exhibit and the artist, but I really enjoyed it, so thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ian Shmian. Astroboy is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Ian's beau is a honey.