Saturday, November 15, 2008

Red Carpet Rendezvous

Checking in with a random sampling of stars @ events this past week or so, all of them sized to represent their actual heights. Because I'm anal like that. I like to keep you (and myself) guessing about who I might include.


Remember when Chlöe Sevigny was like the "it" fashion girl. What happened to that? And what happened to her acting --is it just me or has she been a little dull lately onscreen. I'm thinking of Zodiac and Manderlay? Angelica Huston still goes to things... but apparently only Wes Anderson remembers that's she's quite a great actress. I'm including Brooke Smith because now that she's been unceremoniously dumped from Grey's Anatomy... maybe filmmakers can remember that she's been all kinds of terrific in movies like Vanya on 42nd Street and Silence of the Lambs and Series 7: The Contenders and maybe without a television contract bogging her down, they ought to throw some interesting supporting roles her way. I'm just saying. Lukas Haas still looks like a little boy, albeit a 6' 1" 30 year-old boy. We'll always have Witness (1985). Pink! I know she's not a film person but so what... she's still a rock star (plus I love her so I must include). And finally Regina King. Remember how hard she worked her big moment in Ray? Remember how sweetly funny she was in The Year of the Dog? Apparently casting directors do not. What's wrong with them?
*
*

15 comments:

Billy Held An Oscar said...

Holy Cannibalism ! I just realized that Brooke Smith is the girl who likes to rub lotion on her back.

Cluster Funk said...

And who provided EXCELLENT comic relief/support to Toni Collette in the underrated 'In Her Shoes' just three years ago. Hollywood execs are such a cruel race.

Billy Held An Oscar said...

And Woody Allen's Melinda and Melinda.

I never made the connection.

Hayden said...

Yeah, she was great in In Her Shoes.

But, Nathaniel, I'm glad to see someone else appreciated Vanya on 34th Street. In my book, it should have been Julianne Moore's second nomination of 9, including her place in my current Best Actress lineup for Savage Grace. She was so terrific.

James Hansen said...

I actually like Chloe's dress here...but I'm a sucker for baby blue. Also, I anxiously await word on Doubt and Milk!!! Amy Adams for President!

Glenn said...

What did you think of Pink's Funhouse, Nat? Or have you not heeded your own advice and bought a copy yet?

Anonymous said...

Yeah... How do you like Funhouse???

Crystal Ball and Glitter in the Air are easily in her top 10.

Anonymous said...

This used to be a funhouse!
But now it's full of evil clows.
It's time to start the countdown
I'm gonna burn it down, down, down
I'm gonna burn it DOWN!

Billy D said...

So "Were the World Mine" isn't the gay fantasia it's cracked up to be? Damn.

But...cute boys singing! Come on...

Guy Lodge said...

Love Anjelica Huston. In "The Witches," she was probably my first screen crush. I was a strange boy. (I was also seven -- cut me some slack.)

We see all too little of her these days, but at least here in the UK we get to see her every time we go to the movies lately:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bwfq2QLmBS8

Makes me laugh every time. She's such a great sport.

NATHANIEL R said...

billy d -- there were indeed cute boys singing.

Cluster Funk said...

Funhouse is divine.

Re: Brooke Smith -- if Hollywood is simply business, why do they continue to give plum roles to Jessica Alba & Kate Bosworth, for example, when neither has proven her box office mettle? Meanwhile, talented actors like Smith & Anne Heche continue to languish, get passed over or not considered at all, even though they do bolster the quality of their projects. Seriously, with the exception of the Fantastic Four films (both ensembles), when has one of Alba's films ever made money? And yet she still gets offered major parts for which she banks millions of dollars. Meh!

Karen said...

Lukas Haas is still a cutie. He was great in Witness and Boys. I hope he gets some more roles.

ohnochriso said...

The lack of Anjelica Huston in films in recent years bums me out to no end.

NATHANIEL R said...

you and me both. you and me both