Friday, July 09, 2010

Lisa Cholodenko, Too

<-- Love this pic. It's Lisa Cholodenko with Emmy nominee Jane Lynch (Glee) at the Focus Features party for The Kids Are All Right. The ladies who love ladies are taking over the world. I always knew they would.

I want them to devote one of those foldout Vanity Fair covers to Hollywood's Power Lesbians. We have so many out ladies now. Yay!

As an FYI and teaser, right before I met Julianne Moore (previous post), I had a sit down with Lisa Cholodenko, a writer/director who first burst into cinema with the potent High Art (1998) starring Ally Sheedy (shoulda won the Oscar), Radha Mitchell (just discussed) and my beloved Patty Clarkson. I should probably write about that movie sometime soon. It's been six years since Cholodenko made a film so I'm really hoping The Kids Are All Right is successful enough to convince the world (i.e. Hollywood) that she needs to work more often. I wrote up the interview for Towleroad.

I couldn't fit all the interesting bits into this piece, so I'll share more here next week. I have to stretch out the Kids... posts since the movie is in limited release and we'll have to keep talking about it. It's mandatory. Thems the rules.

Juli with her bestie Ellen Barkin at the premiere after party

Is it coming to your town this weekend or are they making you wait?
*

17 comments:

caitlin said...

I am so excited for this movie, I can't even cope! It's not opening this weekend here in Vancouver, but I just noticed a random showing of it this Sunday at 10 am at one of our artier movie houses. Not sure why or what it's all about, but I'm sure as hell going down there to find out!

Rebecca said...

oh boo, Seattle is making me wait. I'll have to comfort myself at 'Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky.'

MD said...

I'm not sure it'll even turn up in the cinema I'm near. This is the problem with NZ. This is also the problem with being a poor student with no car. I'm looking forward to catching it on DVD, though.

Ryan T. said...

Obviously it's out in NYC this weekend, but a friend is making me wait until next weekend when she's free. Stupid friend.

Alex said...

I have to wait until the July 30, but that doesn't seem as long as most people might have to wait...

vg21 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vg21 said...

I don't even know the release date for Hungary, which is never a good sign, although with Annette and Julianne on board there is going to be one for sure. The only question is when, because judging from past experience, it can be a very, very long time. I'm afraid I won't be able to wait so much.

It's sooo difficult not to read any of the reviews in order to avoid spoilers when the movie world is unanimously talking about one great film. And then, as the weeks go by, it becomes more and more irresistable to give in and find a version online, watch it, be thrilled, read all the reviews and finally go to the cinema IF and whenever they decide to bring the film here. And I will always go because the atmosphere of the cinema is a crucial part of the experience, but it's only half the magic in both cases. Sometimes I really would love to live in NY:).

John O'Neil said...

There making me wait til July 23rd in St. Louis. I thought this was going to get a semi-wide release(?)

NATHANIEL R said...

John -- i am pretty sure it will eventually go wide. But do you know where your market lands? Because they sometimes only do like top markets at first and then gradulaly down the list.

i don't fully understand why film distribution is so slow (seems like they waste P&A that way with all the press coverage and media buys and whatnot long before anyone can see the movies.

Janice said...

//I want them to devote one of those foldout Vanity Fair covers to Hollywood's Power Lesbians. We have so many out ladies now. Yay!//

God YES. As long as they don't try to turn them all into glossy femmes, you know?

Janice said...

I should add that being kind of (ok very) "femme" myself, I intended no offense towards femmes! Just that if VF does a "power lesbian" cover, please don't try to make them into fembots and take away what makes these women appealing and powerful to begin with.

Jason H. said...

I have to wait until next weekend, but Winter's Bone is opening here this weekend, so it's not SO bad.

Alex said...

I had no idea Julianne and Ellen Barkin are besties!

Agustin said...

September 9th can't come soon enough.

Anonymous said...

I thought Ellen was Cheno from that picture.

NATHANIEL R said...

Agustin -- sept ???? ouch.

Jesse said...

They made me wait but boy was it worth it :) Wonderful, almost faultless. Just returned rapturous and renewed with the Bening love - no need for a refill, ever, with the Moore love. Super glad to have expectations exceeded in the decent-depiction-of-real-life-lesbians category. Sure, she sleeps with him...but we do that sometimes. OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR!