Monday, July 05, 2010

Cocteau

Jose here.

When a work appears to be ahead of its time, it is only the time that is behind the work.
-Jean Cocteau

Before the day is over I thought it would be a good moment as any to celebrate the unique Jean Cocteau. He was born on a day like this in 1889. Incredible to think he seems more visionary than most modern artists huh?

Besides his marvelous poetry, theater and criticism, he was a groundbreaking film director.
Have any of you seen his Orpheic Trilogy?
If not, I definitely insist you do.



What's your favorite thing Cocteau made?

8 comments:

par3182 said...

jean marais

NATHANIEL R said...

I am ashamed to say that I've only seen BEAUTY & THE BEAST but i love it.

Y Kant Goran Rite said...

My 14 year old brain wasn't as transfixed by Orpheus as it was by Beauty and the Beast. But boy, was it transfixed by the latter! Still one of my favourite films.

I'm sure Orpheus will rise in my estimation when I catch it again, hopefully very soon. I still vividly remember certain sequences and images (the mirror scene especially), and Maria Casares' may be my favourite characterisation of death not just in movies but in any format.

NATHANIEL R said...

that's so weird. I commented on this last night and i don't see my comment. :(

sadly i have only seen Beauty & The Beast but I loved and therefore must see more.

Andrew R. said...

Easily La Belle et la Bette. Best film of 1947, when it was Oscar eligible.

However, aside from that, I'm not crazy about him. He and De Sica are similar: they made one film that was the best of its respective Oscar-eligible year, and that is it. For De Sica, it was Bicycle Thieves.

Robert said...

The first time I saw that moment where he falls through the mirror, I gasped. Too few movies give me moments like that anymore.

NATHANIEL R said...

PAR -- HA!!!

OtherRobert said...

I loves me some Cocteau. The Infernal Machine is one of my favorite plays of all time. Still haven't gotten around to any of his films (bad, Robert), but I will eventually.