Friday, June 05, 2009

Donut World


Today is National Donut Day. I knew it and then I forgot it and then I passed by a rack of donuts at the grocery store not one hour ago. Aren't you thrilled to have a play-by-play of my life!? Well, aren't you? I opted not to buy them thinking "Sugar is not the answer, Nathaniel!"

See, I've been totally depressed. Like, Laura Brown depressed (yeah, that bad), which is totally an appropriate screen comparative because it's my birthday tomorrow and you know how much trouble Laura Brown had with that cake. That damn cake that she just couldn't get right!

If Toni Collette were to drop by for a cup of coffee right now, I'm reasonably certain I would try to make out with her.

So sugar isn't the answer even if it is Donut Day.

Maybe Mars Attacks! is the answer? I should watch it right now. It's not quite Tim Burton's funniest movie, that honor going to Pee Wee's Big Adventure, but it's surprisingly strong competition. If I only had a copy of the movie handy, I would run back to the grocery store and kick back with a whole mess of those deep fried rounds.


I'd lift a donut to salute Lukas Haas each time he appears. He seems like a sad fellow even in happy movies, even surrounded by donuts in Donut World, and misery loves company.
*

8 comments:

Jason Adams said...

I ♥ this post. Making out with Toni Collette and Mars Attacks! all in one post? I don't think a person should be able to maintain depression with those thoughts on their mind, Nathaniel. ;-)

Wayne B. said...

"If Toni Collette were to drop by for a cup of coffee right now, I'm reasonably certain I would try to make out with her."
.... Isn't that just a sign its a regular day? ;)

Jim T said...

Nate don't be depressed! Be happy? Right nowwww!!
Did that work? I hope so but if it didn't, Happy-Go-Lucky is waiting for you to watch it!

I'm now talking to Bad Thoughts. Leave Nathaniel alone! I mean it!

Fernando Moss said...

I think EVERYONE in their right senses would try to make out with Toni... depressed or not.

Bernardo said...

Happy movies? :S

I have a problem with Mars Attacks! I watched it when I was 4 because my mum thought it was a perfectly harmless comedy... IT BLOODY TERRIFIED ME!! I had nightmares regarding the aliens and the laser guns for at least 2 years. And I am still unable to look at the movie or any stills that involve the aliens...

Haha... The movie that terrified me as a kid was a comedy...

NATHANIEL R said...

Wayne B you are correct sir. Regular day reaction to Toni Collette. But it was still worth typing.

Chris Na Taraja said...

In school they used to show us this donut movie to us. It was about a woman who loses her engagement ring in a batch of donuts and they have to go thru every single one to find it.

Did anyone else see this movie, or am I halucinating? i think it was from the 60's or 70's.

Andrew K. said...

Totally understand your depression. Why are birthdays so depressing... I am feeling the same way today - tomorrow's by birthday too...
Would totally make out with Toni too - in The Hours, in Muriel's Wedding, in Little Miss Sunshine, in The Sixth Sense... need I go on...?