Wednesday, May 13, 2009

________ Based on the Novel by Sapphire

Sundance sensation 'That Movie Based on the Novel by Sapphire' has a poster just in times for Cannes (pictured left) and a trailer, too. So, I'm guessing it sticks with its new title Precious. As you may recall, this film about an obese illiterate teen mom dumped its former title Push due to that 'Chris Evans has super powers' vehicle called Push (the confusion previously joked about here). I don't think they should have worried about that comparison. Who will even remember that Push existed by the time Precious arrives? Even the Push DVD might be in bargain bins by then.

The Precious movie trailer suggests lots of physical and emotional battering for pregnant teenager "Precious" but the poster brings sexual abuse immediately to mind. It's that menacingly large spidery hand shattering the body from the crotch. Yikes.

The title also conjures up icky feelings. "Precious" comes with its own movie connotations: slimy Gollum and Buffalo Bill, too, even slimier...
It puts the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it's told

I wish that the Precious title didn't make me think about Gollum and his ring or Buffalo Bill and his doggie because doesn't this new movie look fantastic?

What? You didn't click on the Precious trailer yet. Go now, go. We've already heard the plentiful Oscar buzz for MoNique for Best Supporting Actress.

<--- Even Mariah Carey appears to have stumbled accidentally and headfirst into a thick patch of acting skill. Watch your step Mariah or we'll forget about Glitter.

For more on any of these topics, click the labels below... or return to the main page for fresh posts.

P.S. Here's Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe's audition for the movie if you haven't seen it.


*

26 comments:

Seeking Amy said...

Yeah the poster makes me think of the abuse Sybil had to endure. Yikes.

Invisible bastard said...

actually the poster makes me think of that scene where the guys PUSHes PRECIOUS from behind...
And I have to agree with you even mariah looks on the spot (which is actually pretty scary! Yikes!)

jesse b said...

Academy Award Nominee Mariah Carey

Sounds like music to my ears...

NOT

Nate Tyson said...

Damn.

Mo'Nique looks incredible. Gabby looks incredible. The movie looks like a first-rate acting showcase at the very least.

Seriously, Mo's delivery of every line in that trailer was just like a punch to the gut.

Ben said...

That trailer makes me cry every time I see it. Holy crap, y'all.

Mo'Nique's probably a shoo-in for Oscar, and I agree about Carey: it seems all of a sudden competent and a viable character actress? Good on her.

Nate Tyson said...

Give performers substantial roles and they will surprise you every once and a while.

E Dot said...

This movie is definitely an actor's film (a la 'Monster's Ball'). I'm actually really excited to see it.

P.S. Nathaniel, um, I said not to mention 'Bolero'... lol

par3182 said...

where did they find this gabby girl? that audition is fantastic

(although i'm surprised they didn't cast academy award winning 'actress' jennifer hudson)

Terence said...

Mo'Nique has been been getting great praise and will probably be in the conversation for Oscar. That said the trailer was spot on and this is definitely on my must see list.

Andrew David said...

I thought there was sexual abuse... wasn't the pregnancy from her father raping her and then leaving, or something horrible like that?

Trailer looks great.

Kurtis O said...

Cannot. Wait. For. This. Movie.

kel said...

Yes, in the novel she was impregnated twice by her father.

I can't wait for the film.

Michael B. said...

I think the movie is going to be amazing.

And am I the only one who likes the title Precious better than Push?

Wayne B. said...

I just watched the trailer and DAMN. Touched me already, can't wait to see the whole movie. Seems like a realistic presentation of struggles some girls go through.

Cinesnatch said...

Darla ... exquisite ...

Cinesnatch said...

Precious' real name is Clarice ... haha .. was that your inspiration?

Mariah Carey ... woah ..

Rachel said...

When Nat did his predictions I said Mariah was getting great reviews and I think she should at least be considered as an also-ran.

Glenn Dunks said...

There's actually a clip on youtube SOMEWHERE of Mariah and Gabby and it's really great, but it also mentions that, yes, Precious is pregnant to her dad's second child.

The trailer is excellent. Really looking impressive. Mo'Nique looks astonishing, Gabby too and yes even Mariah. I was also impressed by Paula Patton and her incredible 1990s hairstyle. It was like something outta Soul Food! It all sends chills down my spine.

Rachel said...

You asked for it, you got it.

Sibide and Carey in Precious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOkUCsvW2kE

Michael Parsons said...

You know I wet myself, then cried.

Janice said...

I just hope that there isn't any "pat" answer in this film (Oprah's name on it somehow makes me nervous) but the perfs look incredible.

Karen said...

I'm glad that Paula Patton is part of the cast. I can't wait to see this movie! Seriously.

www.reelartsy.com

Ty said...

Mo'Nique is so fierce in that I can barely stand it!!! Can't believe that she's going be an Oscar nominee next year. Do your thing, Mo'!

Watch out for Gabourey Sibide in lead actress. Stranger things have happened there.

Jorge Rodrigues said...

I am blown away right now. I can't wait for this film to arrive...

Cramped Kitchen. said...

Seriously, I can't wait for this movie to come out!

But your "precious" movie poster spoof made spit my drink out when i saw it. sooo good. thank you!

NATHANIEL R said...

cramped thank you. I didn't think anyone appreciated

... and i truly do love precious (the original) and the girl in the pit that 'mister, i think his leg is broken!' herself, too. But not Buffalo Bill