Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Coming Soon #10: "Little Children"

Coming Soon But Not Soon Enough
#10 Little Children (New Line. Supposedly arriving in November.)

As with yesterday's #11 entry Margaret, my tenth most awaited film of the year is from a writer/director who after a stunning debut left us waiting for more for five+ long years. Todd Field, the man in question this time, began his cinematic journey as an actor. He played the obnoxious best friend in films (like Eyes Wide Shut 1999) and the great family drama series "Once and Again" on television. His 2001 feature directorial debut In the Bedroom was a major success, delivering widely respected performances, solid box office, and deserved Oscar nominations. Can his new film, Little Children match that succes destime?

I'm feeling optimistic. Like Bedroom this is an adaptation of a respected contemporary work of literature (a novel by Tom Perotta), involves marital anguish and complex characterizations, and --on paper at least-- features very smart casting choices.


My soulmate and idol Kate Winslet and my loveslave Patrick Wilson are the leading characters. She is an insecure former bohemian who hates the suburban mommy clique she now travels with. He is a former football star and stay-at-home dad questioning the decision he's recently made about his life. The story revolves around a neighborhood child abuse scandal and the surprising/romantic (?) bond between these two parents. Both are married to other people. Broadway star Gregg Edelman (last seen very briefly as Peter Parker's doctor in Spider-Man 2) plays Winslet's older husband and Jennifer Connelly plays Patrick Wilson's filmmaker wife. It is with great relief that I tell you that this character is not a typical JConn type. If they stay true to the book (please hope that they do) we won't see that weepy/mopey/psychologically fragile Jen' that we are so fond of familiar with. This'll be a nice change of pace for her.

If the movie handles the book's tricky tone right and the performances ring true, it'll be special.

tags: Todd Field, Kate Winslet, Little Children, drama, Patrick Wilson, Jennifer Connelly, movies

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. I love Todd Field. First time I saw In The Bedroom. I watched it three times in a row. Thank god he's doing something.

StinkyLulu said...

It shocked me how much I loved this book.

And the casting of Kate Winslet, JConn & Patrick Wilson? Pristine. (I'm a little concerned by the casting of McGorvey, but we'll see...)

I'm good though -- just to see the crazysexyromps of Kate & Patrick.
Whoowhee.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about this film and you jut pushed me into anxious.

On a side note: I'm glad to see you are taking time out of your schedule to see the new Amanda Bynes comedy. Ha.

NATHANIEL R said...

hey my brow is flexible. I'll take it high / middle / low.

it's all good.

NicksFlickPicks said...

N, I don't remember loaning Patrick out to you. And how come you cropped this picture so high?