Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Pfixating on Pfeiffer

UPDATE. The blessed time has arrived.
Follow this link to the THE BLOG-A-THON on April 27th starting at 9 PM


Exactly one month from today Michelle Pfeiffer, the most beautiful blonde on the planet (give or take Deneuve across the pond), celebrates her 48th birthday. A few months after that the goddess will finally return to the screen after a four year absence.

Q: So why am I mentioning La Pfeiffer now?
A: I am calling for a blogathon in her honor on April 28th. That's the day before her birthday, but we want people in a Pfeifferian mood for the weekend.

If you're thinking "blog-a-whatnow???" allow me to point you to Girish's blog. Girish and assorted cineastic-fantastic company have been doing these for a couple of months now. They've covered Showgirls , bad boy auteur Abel Ferrara and Michael Haneke's Code Unknown. It's a blast to read a bunch of different voices mulling over the same topic all in one day. Just to shake up that very academic-friendly lineup and keep everyone on their toes, I'd love to see multiple takes on a mainstream actor. There is an element of self-service here as well, I do readily admit. I want the blogosphere focused on my own (sometimes irrational) obsession for just one day. Michelle Pfeiffer is my primary film siren: the beauty that did lure me to my cinematic doom two decades ago. Now I am forever throwing myself against the jagged rocks of Hollywood, always hoping to be transported again by a memorable face, an indelible moment, a seductive song.

You don't have to lick Catwoman's heels or stand at attention when she makes whoopee on that piano to join in. You just have to write about her; a particular performance, general thoughts, stream-of-thought ravings, her place in the pantheon, her would-be successors, your dream role for her, etc... anything Pfeifferian.

If you would like to participate...e-mail me
If you would just like to read all the articles, come back to the blog on friday morning april 28th for the complete roster of links.

13 comments:

girish said...

Great idea, Nathaniel.

I can't commit for sure since that week marks the end-of-the-semester mad dash, but I would like to try to write something about The Fabulous Baker Boys.

Anonymous said...

Michelle Pfeiffer is an amazing actress she has Audrey Hepburn's Beauty and Ingrid Bergman's talent one day The Academy will reward her for her talent stay tuned.

Pfangirl said...

Sure, I'm keen... I've been very lax in terms of my Pfeiffer commentary lately. Great idea, BTW.

adam k. said...

The academy will never recognize Pfeiffer. If they can pass her up for Baker Boys and not even bother nominating her for White Oleander, I don't see them ever giving it up.

Noel Vera said...

if you don't have anyone writing about her in batman returns and its ok wid you, i volunteer...

qta said...

i am in... i can do The Witches of Eastwick

NATHANIEL R said...

again, whoever wants to join in just email me at

filmexperience@gmail.com

to let me know to count on you. i'd want everyone's URL for their post the morning of the 29th by 11 EST. (that's a saturday) so that they can all be linked from here.

Anonymous said...

I think the osacrs may award pfeiffer in the future. yes they have snubbed her in the age of innocence and White Oleander but they did nominate her three times.

She is of course getting back to work now with a role in sradust, icnbyw and rumoured roles in Hairsrpay with Johntravolta and Love life Rock and Role with Sting.

Anonymous said...

Her Rendition of "Cool Rider" in Grease 2 is the guiltiest of pleasures.

Anonymous said...

J'adore Pfeiffer.

The 'Stache said...

Nathaniel, I'll participate in the Pfeiffer blog-a-thon. I can't send e-mail to you through my Mac, so I hope you get this message.....

Anonymous said...

Sorry for off topic, but 2012 is close, is this really matter?

Anonymous said...

thanks for post.This article translate for me, my friend Marko
greetings from Camp from Thailand