Friday, March 24, 2006

Coming Soon #7: "Running With Scissors"

Coming Soon But Not Soon Enough
#7 Running With Scissors (Sony. Supposedly arriving in September)

Sony is distributing this film. I don't know exactly how all their corporate film divisions work but I hope this means that we get that Annette Bening doppelganger Columbia lady before the film. You know, the one who holds that torch. I figure all movies with Annette Bening oughta have that intro. It's The Bening. We'd like a little warning prior to her appearance.

Sometimes I like to fantasize about the CG Columbia lady being replaced by Bening herself before each and every film. Bening could still hold the torch but she could make a different face before each film; a wink here, a sideways glance there, a shudder, or a twinkly laugh. Something that lets us know what she thought of the film before it starts rolling. I'd see everything Sony distributed if she did.

Now where were we? The Bening has distracted me.

Oh. Running With Scissors. Everyone says the book is great. I haven't yet read it. (Does it have pictures?) They also say it'll be hard to translate. Nevertheless I'm excited. Bening as a crazy person. Kristen Chenoweth as her lover? Kristen Chenoweth, my friends! (Y'all know how I feel about her) The cast also finds room for Gwynnie, Evan Rachel Wood, Brian Cox, and Alec Baldwin. I'll be running with dollars to the box office.

tags: Annette Bening, Running with scissors, books, movies, Kristen Chenoweth

previous "coming soons"
Volver,Inland Empire, Little Children, Margaret, Bug and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Zodiac

10 comments:

Ramification said...

Nathaniel, as I've mentioned before this is one of my favorite books of all time, I recommend reading it before you go see the film. I've read it in about 4 days and I am usually a very slow reader, I just couldn't put it down.

Anonymous said...

i ditto ramification.

i read it in two days. it's an easy and compelling read. it should be interesting to see how it translates...esp since ER Wood's character is supposed to a chunky frumpy pothead. Hm.

Read it already!

Anonymous said...

Here comes another over-the-over-the-over-the-top performance by Annette Bening. Can she play somebody different from bitchy divas? Yes, she can ( she is great in Open Range) but she always gets these parts. So boring.

cal roth

Anonymous said...

I also just want to give a quick plug to Seth Gabel (crazy fucker on Nip/Tuck) is also in this.

I'm excited by that as well as all the other talent involved.

That's all...

Anonymous said...

I can't comment on the works mentioned, since I haven't read those books, but "The Benning".
Totally.Lurve.It.
Where do we write? It must happen.

Anonymous said...

Laughed my ass off. Cal - yes, she's more versatile than the stock bitch role, but... can we at least watch her do it a few hundred more times? It's just so FUN!

Rob

RC said...

how funny about annette as the statue...

this looks like pure oscar bate for her and perhaps others in the cast as well...the cast is so strong.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

adam k. said...

You really think this looks oscary?... I dunno... something need be done about that title...

Anonymous said...

Um... Running with Scissors is a very funny book. It's not a very good book, though. The writing is sort of all over the place and his ideas don't translate well, but you really ought to read it because it's absolutely hilarious. The thing that is so shocking—at least to me—is that it's all true. A friend and I were talking about the preposterous situations in this book just last week. It's hysterical.
Augusten Burroughs' second book Dry is a much better book with totally different subject matter. Both are quite compelling.

Agustin said...

just imagine annette benning nominated at the oscars.. hilary swank ALSO nominated for the black dahlia and the BIG upset for the THIRD time, i won't stand it..