Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hump Day Hottie: "Starbuck"

Gabriel over at Modern Fabulousity has been urging his readersp to watch Battlestar Galactica for some time now. For whatever reason I shrugged whenever reading those posts. I remembered the original (yes, I'm ancient now) and back in the day as a kid, I thought it was something of a Star Wars rip off although I loved its Mormon mythologies writ large and genre-ized. But fast forward to now: been there, done that.

Or so I thought.

The chance that Mr. Fabulousity might be right about it combined with my desire to have something on television to watch besides the more-addictive-than-narcotics "Project Runway" and the not-quite-as-addictive-as-I'd hoped "Veronica Mars" I clicked it up over at ye ole Netflix queue. One miniseries and four episodes into it now (all available on DVD) I'm completely hooked. It still has the curiously abundant Mormon mythologies blown up as science-fiction but now it's got interesting political commentary and better special effects. If I had to choose one adjective to describe it I'd say: Surprising. As in surprisingly gripping, surprisingly well acted, surprisingly good in nearly every way a television show is expected to be in order to win awards and keep you coming back for more.

[sarcasm] But it will have to settle for its own excellence because it's a genre show and those just aren't worthy of awards --Like that show about the blond girl who kills vampires? Fun! But you think that's better than shows about doctors or police? Puh-leeeeze! [/sarcasm]

But back to the subject at hand... As if unexpectedly high quality weren't enough for the new BG it also has hotness to spare. I'm thinking mostly of Katee Sackhoff as Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace. When she first walked swaggered onto the screen with her tomboy cockiness I was not having it. Herewith a reenactment of my initial Sackhoff reaction...

Nathaniel to Katee: Oh, come on now. Who are you kidding? Some Hollywood chick who got rejected from lameass WB shows because you aren't generically pretty enough to be a bimbo and now you're doing your best "Tom Cruise in 'Top Gun' meets Pink doing a Gina Gershon in 'Bound' impersonation" expecting me to believe that you're some hot sh---

Nathaniel to Self: Er... Oh wait, she is hot shit.

Nathaniel to Katee: Will you have my babies?

I am now officially hot for Katee Sackhoff. She shares a lot of her scenes with musclebound flyboys of the Galactica fleet (she's a flight instructor and total badass in the cockpit) But honestly, I can't take my eyes off of Katee the whole time. Peripheral hunkiness be damned. She's the one that I want.



Previous Hump Day Hotties (Butch Edition): Sean Penn , Madonna , Daniel Craig , Viggo Mortenson

2 comments:

adam k. said...

"Some Hollywood chick who got rejected from lameass WB shows because you aren't generically pretty enough to be a bimbo and now you're doing your best "Tom Cruise in 'Top Gun' meets Pink doing a Gina Gershon in 'Bound' impersonation..."

Nathaniel. You. Are. Too. Much.

That was really funny.

adam k. said...

Cut to 19 months later, and I finally know who Starbuck is. Funny.

And that post was RIGHT ON, not that I knew it at the time. Wow.